nesting box: shavings vs. hay?

suburbiamama

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 13, 2009
Which do you use in your nesting boxes and why? We've used hay, and the hens like it -- as far as I can tell
wink.png
-- but our eggs are often dirty and the hay doesn't decompose as quickly as pine shavings (which we use in the coop and run). I think it helped insulate the coop in the winter -- any thoughts on switching to shavings for the summer?

Last edited:
I used hay, but same as you - it gave me dirty eggs, though the chickens loved it more than shavings............
Sicne I switched to shavings, they refuse to use certain nest boxes and will only use one certain next box, and that makes it tough since I have 14 hens all using one box. Lots of broken eggs there
I would switch back to hay in a heartbeat, except I'm afraid of attracting bugs and getting dirty eggs again

I use straw in the boxes and I think I have only had 1 or 2 dirty eggs out of about 4 dozen. I think they like it better because they can move it around and fluff it up around them.

lol...I've always used shavings, so my girls have never had another choice. I've read that shavings are less likely to harbor mites, plus it's my regular coop bedding, and is easy to spot clean. My eggs are always clean. I guess I'm wondering...why would using hay in the nest boxes result in more dirty eggs? Are they pooping in there/Do they hang out there in the hay all day?

ETA: after reading pullets response...I do fluff their shavings up too because it can get packed down pretty solidly.

Last edited:
I also use hay, it's softer than the straw and I don't get dirty eggs.... wonder why that is
idunno.gif

Last edited:
klf73, is there a difference between straw and hay? I thought it was like soda vs pop, sprinkles vs jimmies...haha

I thought the same thing but the girls at the feed store told me that straw was hard and hollow and hay is softer, like grass.....I thought they were the same thing until I asked one way, then the other and there were different prices and of course that prompted me to ask why the price went up....

eta-was also told straw was more likely to have parasites etc cuz they liked to go inside the hollow part, don't know how true...

Last edited:
Neither

I just use old 70's fluffy rubber backed bathroom mats cut to size. I had problems with hens making little circles
with the bottom of the nest box exposed and breaking eggs on the hard surface.

It's easy in that if it gets dirty I can spray them off with the hose and hang up to dry. What did they make
those mats out of to last since the 70's and still look new although tacky?
hmm.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom