Nesting box vs coop vs run

schatzi011

Chirping
Jun 9, 2018
West Hills, CA
I am going to build a chicken coop attached to a 9' x 14' aviary (which is fully protected with 16 gauge wire) and keep around 3 hens. A lot of coops seem to have a nest box. Do I need a coop or just a nest box if the chickens will have free run of the aviary? What kind of design should I be looking for? I thought this was cute:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/trictles-chicken-coop-with-plans.47755/
But instead of building a run below, just cut a hole in the aviary and put in a ramp so they can go there if they want.

So do the chickens just go in the coop to sleep, and then in the nest box to lay eggs? Sorry if this is a dumb question. I am a beginner with chickens! Thanks.

So you are fairly far south in California, near LA. Nice weather in winter, hot in summer. Not sure what your aviary looks like but coops can serve different purposes. Coops are often use as a place to sleep that is safe from predators. Some chickens sleep in trees so not everyone uses coops for this purpose but it's pretty common for backyard flocks. If you consider your aviary predator proof then you don't need to lock them in the coop but coops are usually safer.

Coops are often used to provide protection from the weather. Weather could mean cold, especially a cold wind. It could be rain, snow, ice storms, hurricanes, high heat, or strong winds. In your climate I would not expect your chickens to need much protection from anything other than heat. As I said, some chickens sleep in trees but in some areas weather protection is pretty important.

Most of us have nests in the coop. They don't have to be. The nests should be kept dry and the eggs out of direct sun. You don't want your nests to turn into an oven and cook the hen while she is laying an egg. If you build the coop in your link I'd put the nest on the north side unless it is always in the shade with some other orientation. The nests need to be available from the time they get up until they go to bed, no telling when they will lay an egg.

You have to decide where you will feed and water them. Chicken feed needs to stay dry. That could be in that coop or maybe under it if your aviary is not dry. Water can get wet but you want it to stay reasonably cool so it should be in the shade.

Heat is more dangerous to chickens than cold. Where you are you will have heat. So give them as much shade as you can and leave it as open for airflow as you can.

Good luck!

I would have at least have two nest boxes but will probably all lay in one in back corner of coop. I would use 19 g 1/2 inch hardware cloth as sturdiest against predators for all screened areas. Should apply 2 ft apron around coop/run for digging predators of same HWC attached to bottom frame and tacked down to yard. Can put lawn or lawnscaping over it to cover. Your spacing seems perfect for amount of hens. Looks good! :)

The only complaint I'd have with that coop for three hens in your climate is that it probably needs more ventilation. When you build it leave the tops if the walls open under the overhang. That should take care if it. You can cover those openings with hardware to keep predators out if it is not in your aviary.

Chickens also need roosts inside the coop and outside the coop. Chickens will roost at night to sleep. They lay eggs in nest boxes. Can add false eggs in nest box when at laying age to encourage going in nest boxes. Have enough roosting space for all hens. So 10-12 inches per bird. I have two roosts across in my coop with litter tray below to catch droppings for easy clean up. I have my three nest boxes to the left of that with an egg door to outside for easy removal of eggs without entering coop. My roosting bar is in run. They all like to roost together. It just goes across my run. Each roost bar is easily removable for easy clean up. Looks something like this.
IMG_3625.jpg

When new layers are laying it takes some practice to lay in nest box while others get it right from the start. If lay in coop, block that area of coop while still allowing access in coop and will lay in nest box. After they have it down can remove blocker. I just taped up cardboard that worked. Mine all lay in one nest box furthest darkest one in back despite having three boxes. I have 4 hens but may increase to 6 when production drops after first couple years so keep in mind may need to expand or upgrade in future years if need or want more hens. Spacing guidelines are 4sq ft per bird in coop and 10 sq ft in run. Happy Healthy Hens!

Here's our "version" of keeping it ventilated & compact (8x12x7) Chicken House in HI ... Used chicken wire cause our yard is fenced plus no predators as in Mainland. Shower curtain for rain & wind, the dog house works great as a nest box, they all lay in it. Presently housing 4BOs, had 5 Blue Wyandottes that all chose to lay in it so removed the second that was under this one.
DSC04442.JPG
DSC04441.JPG
DSC03875.JPG
DSC03876.JPG

The coop you linked should be big enough for 3. I'm not sold on the little ramp underneath (seems steep) but if you plan on having this fully enclosed in your aviary then you can scrap the fencing enclosing the area underneath and extend out the ramp further than the original design to reduce the angle, or have it sticking out the side (maybe the clean out door could be the chicken door too).

Back
Top Bottom