Nesting boxes (baskets)

chicken opey

Songster
7 Years
Apr 17, 2017
Central MS
Has anyone used baskets for nesting boxes? Dh will build shelves w dividers but I have a lot of these cheap baskets and w straw, maybe? What do yall think? May be easier to clean? Using baskets as make shift tractor.
20 hens/4 straight run

Attachments

• IMG_7437.jpeg
    IMG_7437.jpeg
    833.5 KB · Views: 22
Yes. You think since they could turn over girls won’t like them much?
I just know that my girls like to explore each nest, make it comfy then sometimes come back to lay. I think it is natural for them to want to visually inspect a nest before going in. If its a tall narrow basket (2:1) a 4-5 lb chicken jumping onto the rim will topple it. IMHO, I would save them the step of tipping it over and simply arrange it like that. Less risk of broken eggs from hopping right in, and injury if it topples, and the bird panic flaps to rebalance.

Or- if you really want them upright you could make a rack to place each basket in and that would provide a perch in front so they don’t have to balance on the rim.

I just know that my girls like to explore each nest, make it comfy then sometimes come back to lay. I think it is natural for them to want to visually inspect a nest before going in. If its a tall narrow basket (2:1) a 4-5 lb chicken jumping onto the rim will topple it. IMHO, I would save them the step of tipping it over and simply arrange it like that. Less risk of broken eggs from hopping right in, and injury if it topples, and the bird panic flaps to rebalance.

Or- if you really want them upright you could make a rack to place each basket in and that would provide a perch in front so they don’t have to balance on the rim.
K ty. Given me many ideas!

Back
Top Bottom