Nesting Boxes

orlandotx

Hatching
9 Years
May 6, 2010
Austin, TX
I have 6 girls that are about 13 weeks. Their coop is 4 x 6 with chicken wire for walls and a roost. My question is: how many nesting boxes do I need? How big to they need to be? I didn't build the coop but got it on the cheap. I'm not mechanically inclined but feel like I can put four pieces of ply wood together. Any design ideas?
Orlando

Last edited:
I would have at least 2 nest boxes. I have 4 hens in a tractor with only one nest and sometimes one of the girls doesn't get her turn in time and I find an egg on the ground.

The rule of thumb is 1 box for 4 hens, so 2 nest boxes will suit you fine. As far as size, the minuimum I'd go with is 12" x 12' x 12". I made mine 16" x 16" to give them plenty of room. Sometimes chickens like to share a nest so I thought the extra size would make that easier.

I think here is more variety in what we use for nesting boxes than there is in what we use for coops. 5-gallon buckets, milk crates,and cat litter boxes are just some of the normal things. The only suggestion I'll make is to have a lip across the bottom between 3 " and 5" high to hold in the bedding material.

They don't have to be pretty. To prove that, here's what I did.

22249_nest_boxes.jpg

Last edited:
mine are 2x2x2. I have 10 laying hens and 6 nesting boxes, which is probably more than I need. A friend of mine has 6 layers and they all use 1 box, and another friend has 16 layers and he says they use about 5 or 6 of the boxes. You definitely want everyone to have a turn, but they'll lay at different times of the day, so you're not really obligated to make one for each. For 6 birds, I'd say at least 2 maybe 3.

Yep, with 6 hens, they are probably all going to use the same box but give them at least two just to be safe. Of what I suggest is get you one of those plastic storage containers with a lid and and cut a opening in the side for them. This is what I use and it is big enough for 2 hens to fit in comforably at the same time since they lay in same nest anyway, and if it getts dirty, you can just hose it out and if you have a broody that you want to set, you can take her out box and all and put anouther one in. Too easy and they work great for me.

Back
Top Bottom