Nesting

feathers flying

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 13, 2013
NJ
Ok, I have another question: I have 10, 3 month old reds and 7 nesting boxes. is there a reason they only use 3 out of the 7? it's the same 3 boxes. All of the boxes are nice an clean soft straw nothing blocking the way. Some roost at night, on the roost and the others roost on the edge of the nest and some lay in it. will they eventually no what to do and where to go?

You only need 2 to 3 nests for 10 hens. Actually they are doing well to use 3. I have 9 hens who use one, sometimes two, which is a very common experience. One theory is they lay where others did because it makes it a good spot to lay -- another, that maybe someone will hatch their eggs for them.

You will want to stop their using the nest or its edge for a roost, as this will get your eggs poopy. Roosts need to be higher than nests, as they like to sleep as high as they can. You may need to start closing off the nests at night so they can't sleep in them. They won't lay at night. I use empty gallon milk jugs to do this as it makes it easy. Of course you have to remove them in the morning.

First, you need to tae the nesting boxes out or cover them until they are ready to lay. You do not want them sleeping in the nesting boxes. They poop in them and when it comes time for them to start to lay, your eggs will be covered in poop. Second, you don't need that many boxes anyway. You only need maybe 3 for ten birds. They should all be sleeping on the roosts.

I have 15 hens and 8 guineas is my coop how many nest boxes should I have?

You only need 2 to 3 nests for 10 hens. Actually they are doing well to use 3. I have 9 hens who use one, sometimes two, which is a very common experience. One theory is they lay where others did because it makes it a good spot to lay -- another, that maybe someone will hatch their eggs for them.

You will want to stop their using the nest or its edge for a roost, as this will get your eggs poopy. Roosts need to be higher than nests, as they like to sleep as high as they can. You may need to start closing off the nests at night so they can't sleep in them. They won't lay at night. I use empty gallon milk jugs to do this as it makes it easy. Of course you have to remove them in the morning
Excellent advise.. i have two levels of roosts above the nesting aeras but i have seen one on the nest and one perching on the nest entrance. the mike jugs sound like a great idea..

Back
Top Bottom