Nevadans?

What age did your kids start to lay? Waiting for my first eggs! 6 girls, 4 black jerseys and two speckled Sussex. About 15 weeks now

You've still got a few weeks. Maybe longer for the giants. 18 weeks or more usually. It'll happen... :) The wait makes it even more maxing when it happens. My Sussex took around 20 weeks.

Crazy how time flies by and your chicks from me will be laying soon!! Curious to see what color egg the Cochin cross lays. Her mamma laid a golden brown egg and her father carries the dark chocolate Marans egg gene, so I would guess a dark egg. :pop       

I wonder if the Ameraucana pullet with the funny eyes doesn't see well and that is why she is so skittish? Poor thing! 

I filed the crossed beak on the d'Anver cockerel chick yesterday with a regular people nail file. First time I have done this and was surprised how easily it filed down! It is much easier for him to eat now! 

I need to file the beak on the special girl too. Scared to do it. Her top is the longest I've seen on such a young bird. She does fine out in the yard with the other girls. Just hangs out on the edge of the group. Since she's always been with them, so far, she hasn't been picked on. Thankfully.

Wow everyone has been chatty and lots of new faces!

I have hatched a bunch of stuff so far this year and lots of cute babies coming out of the bunch! I have lots of juviniles too!
Boys develop faster than girls so only boys avalible right now!

So I have (all cockerels):
black carrying lavender LF cochin project cockerels
Black LF cochins SQ/BQ
Silkie cockerels almost cocks in blue, splash and possible frizzled silkie BQ/SQ

Last edited:
She does! Wish I would've gotten more colors from her. I have all blue sizzles from her and they are amazing. My smooth rooster is super sweet and all his sons have been the same. When we went to pick ours up last summer, Sheri had some really cool color projects going. If my son didn't get car sick, I would do the drive again for more. :)

I want LF Cochins! I hatched out bantam calico/Mille fleur babies a week or so ago. Adorable.

Hello All,

Guinea Fowl Update: Of the 18 eggs, 12 appeared to be fertile at 10 days, 6 appear to be still viable at 25 days, 1 is iffy. Should start to see some activity on Sunday (Day 28). Not shaping up to be an encouraging hatch rate, but this is our first time, so I hope we'll improve next time.

On another note, I'm considering getting some meat birds and am wondering if anybody has any experience with homemade pluckers. Whizbang?

Thanks for posting all the pictures of your birds, I'm learning a lot from seeing them and the various breed names.

JM

I need to file the beak on the special girl too. Scared to do it. Her top is the longest I've seen on such a young bird. She does fine out in the yard with the other girls. Just hangs out on the edge of the group. Since she's always been with them, so far, she hasn't been picked on. Thankfully.
The one with the funny eyes developed a crossed beak? I was scared to, but it was easy. Just file it a little at a time and watch for sensitivity and stop if she starts struggling like it hurts.

The one with the funny eyes developed a crossed beak?  I was scared to, but it was easy. Just file it a little at a time and watch for sensitivity and stop if she starts struggling like it hurts. 

No, not crossed. Her top part of her beak is just way longer than I've ever seen on such a young bird. Like she's not rubbing it foraging enough or something...if that makes any sense. I'll see if I can get a picture. If I should just leave it, I will. I just worry it'll eventually be hard for her to eat if it gets longer. My husband says she looks like a hawk.

Back
Top Bottom