never a shell??

aeg1001

Songster
10 Years
May 11, 2009
Small town, Ohio
I have one hen that lays an egg with no shell. Everyday like clock work, she sits does her thing and hoots and hollars so proud but when I reach my hand to get it, goo is all I get. There is plenty of layer, corn, oyster shells, meat scraps,greens, even a loaf of multi grain bread given everyday. All of the other hens lay fine. Is there anything I can do or is she going to be like this forever?

Is she new to laying, or has this been going on for months???? I'd get rid of the corn and bread for a few weeks to see if that helps clear things up. That way she'll be forced to eat only layer feed and possibly oyster shell.
It is possible that her egg making equipment is messed up and she'll always be that way. But hopefully it's only a temporary thing...

I had an ISA with a messed up egg system...the shell was always porous, rough and the large end was not completely covered with shell...so they broke almost every day. She recently prolapsed, tissue became necrotic, so I culled her.

Yes she has always been this way. I just wasn't sure if there was anything I could do for her. She is always proud of herself and it doesn't seem to be bothering her. I always hate to make a special pot of chicken and dumplings but that may be were she's headed
sad.png

sad.png
Yeah, I have one with issues too. Mine are primarily pets, so even DH says she'll have a place with us until she dies (of nat. causes
tongue.png
). I'm hoping that maybe spring will kick her system into gear or something (we just get clear egg white goo - not even jello eggs), as she's not quite a year old yet. Guess time will tell... If my birds were primarily utilitarian, she'd be dumplings too...

I agree with the suggestion of taking away everything but the layer feed and oyster shell. See if forcing her to eat a higher calcium food will help her. If that doesn't change it, she may just be that way.

Back
Top Bottom