New born ducks

The hen lady

Chirping
Jun 26, 2023
Hi all how can I sex my pekin cherry vally ducks it's not the hole they poop out of is it ? Never hatched ducklings before

Attachments

• IMG_1204.jpeg
    IMG_1204.jpeg
    432.3 KB · Views: 18
Hi all how can I sex my pekin cherry vally ducks it's not the hole they poop out of is it ? Never hatched ducklings before

That hole is called the cloaca and is a multipurpose opening in birds. It connects to the digestive tract and empties poop. It also connects to the urinary tract and empties their "pee" which is the white paste. It also connects to or contains the reproductive organs. So, experienced breeders can carefully open it and determine the gender. BUT, it is difficult and if you do not do it correctly you can injure their reproductive organs for life. So, most of us do not try to check. We just wait until they are about a month old. By then, the girls will have started quacking that loud quack we all associate with ducks. Boy ducks never quack. Instead they go from peeping to making a wap, wap sound that sort of sound like they have a sore throat.

That hole is called the cloaca and is a multipurpose opening in birds. It connects to the digestive tract and empties poop. It also connects to the urinary tract and empties their "pee" which is the white paste. It also connects to or contains the reproductive organs. So, experienced breeders can carefully open it and determine the gender. BUT, it is difficult and if you do not do it correctly you can injure their reproductive organs for life. So, most of us do not try to check. We just wait until they are about a month old. By then, the girls will have started quacking that loud quack we all associate with ducks. Boy ducks never quack. Instead they go from peeping to making a wap, wap sound that sort of sound like they have a sore throat.
Or to me they can sound like spring peepers

Thankyou xx

If you do not know what you are doing you can actually kill the duckling, that is why I have never tried it. Their little organs are quite fragile. I always just wait until I can tell by the voices or the drake curl that the males get. People that are professionals at this even make mistakes as it is not that easy to tell. That is why you can order sexed ducklings from a hatchery and end up with the wrong sex.

Back
Top Bottom