New Chick will not stop Crying!

Dottie the Chicken

Lover of Jesus, cows, and chickens
May 8, 2020
Wisconsin
Good evening, everyone,

Today I brought home 6 chicks from a local store. They had just arrived today. I have a little Buff Orpington who will not stop crying! Not just cheeping, but actual crying. She has water and food sprinkled in the brooder, has a warm (heat lamp) and a cool spot in the brooder. What should I do? I've dipped her beak in water multiple times (the water also has probiotics and electrolytes in it). Is there anything I can do, or do I just need to wait it out? They are in my bedroom, so it'd be great if it would stop before I try to go to bed.

Thanks!

Today I brought home 6 chicks from a local store. They had just arrived today.
Shipping and everything has been stressful. The first day of arrival is often fussy. Keep your eye open to make sure that chick is actively eating and drinking with the others and continues pooping. Some chick don't figure out the whole eating and drinking thing no matter how many times the beak is dipped, the next couple days are crucial.

Being in a new environment, sometimes they need help getting tucked back under the heat. Crushing the feed extra small may also help.. Today is their first connection with food.. so they may still be a little cold (to the core), or hungry, tired, mad... The chirping is essentially calling for mama hen.. most quite down when I cup them under my hand and tuck them in the warm spot, some times it takes several times to just reassure them their travels are over and this is their new safe place. It's almost always better by day # 2 after a good nights sleep.

Congrats on your babies!

You probably accidentally left his friend at the store and need to go back for more. :oops: :p

Shipping and everything has been stressful. The first day of arrival is often fussy. Keep your eye open to make sure that chick is actively eating and drinking with the others and continues pooping. Some chick don't figure out the whole eating and drinking thing no matter how many times the beak is dipped, the next couple days are crucial.

Being in a new environment, sometimes they need help getting tucked back under the heat. Crushing the feed extra small may also help.. Today is their first connection with food.. so they may still be a little cold (to the core), or hungry, tired, mad... The chirping is essentially calling for mama hen.. most quite down when I cup them under my hand and tuck them in the warm spot, some times it takes several times to just reassure them their travels are over and this is their new safe place. It's almost always better by day # 2 after a good nights sleep.

Congrats on your babies!

You probably accidentally left his friend at the store and need to go back for more. :oops: :p
Thanks! And LOL!!

Whenever one of my chicks cried it was either a physical problem or being afraid so I always got up and checked on it. The physical problems were often obvious like a chick having been pooped on, but it also included a couple objects-up-the-nose instances that were not obvious until I really started inspecting the chick up close. The fear crying came from things like getting separated from the other chicks early on and later on it was wanting me to be around. If the room light is on, try turning it off so they only have the red light from the heat lamp and see if your chick calms down.

Back
Top Bottom