New Chicken Coop; 10 layers, 10 meat; SQFT concerns

ocomfort

Hatching
Apr 23, 2024
Hello all,

I am in the process of purchasing a design for a coop or making one myself. I want 10 layers/ dual purpose and rotate through 10 meat birds throughout the summer seasons. I have a 10x17 run, but I need to construct the coop. I know the rule of thumb is 4 sqft per bird, which would make it around 80 sqft. That is a big structure, which means money! Can I space out the 80 sqft with two stories of the coop? Maybe a 40sqft 1st level, and then spread the rest through roosting and shelving on another story?
I don't know if I am explaining this properly, but I want to use the least amount of material for this project. I would love any feedback/ experience you all have for this.

Thanks, Olivia

Maybe a 40sqft 1st level, and then spread the rest through roosting and shelving on another story?
Roosting and shelving doesn't really count.
You'd be best off using separate housing for the meat birds.
...and that 'rule of thumb' has been most often found to be a bare minimum.

Last edited:
You could keep your meat birds in a hoop house- a portable tractor coop.

Each hen will need 12 inches or more to roost on. Begin there. They will need roosts, plus enough space from the walls and each other that they are not touching the walls or birds on the other roost. If two roosts are two feet apart, that is about 5 feet of space. Each roost should be at least 5 feet long. So figure 6 feet. 5 x 6 is 30 square feet. You have the run, which is much bigger. They really only need the coop for sleeping in. Of course, add nest boxes, but these can be on the outside.

Back
Top Bottom