Savy Lyn's Farmhouse

In the Brooder
Jun 14, 2017
Lakewood, California
Hi! I will be getting my chicks the week of July 5th. Lavender Orpington, Buff Orpington, Barred Plymouth Rock, Golden Laced Wyandotte, Blue Ameraucana. I ordered all females because I am not allowed roosters where I live.

I am getting everything I need for the brooder. My question is on the heat lamp/heat plate. Which is the best? How do I change the temp for when I start reducing it every week? How do I place it in the brooder, high/low?

Thank you so much!

A heat lamp and plate are used differently so you need to decide which you will use first. I use a heat lamp with a 125 watt bulb. I set my initial temperature with a thermometer than raise my lamp a bit each week. Though brooding in July you may not need much extra heat.

I'm using red mulch for my brooder along with paper shavings. Should I be concerned about the chicks well being?

I am getting everything I need for the brooder. My question is on the heat lamp/heat plate. Which is the best? How do I change the temp for when I start reducing it every week? How do I place it in the brooder, high/low?

I don't have experience with the heat plate, too expensive for my taste. But the bulbs work well for me. I have used the 250W red bulbs, both with and without the dimmer switch - spring for the dimmer for sure! Put it up about 2' high, aimed down, and check the temp to be about 100F for the first few days, maybe a bit less. Then turn it down as time goes on. It's best to leave at least half the brooder outside of the light to give them a reprieve.

I'm using red mulch for my brooder along with paper shavings. Should I be concerned about the chicks well being?

I suggest adding chick grit to their brooder in case they're eating the mulch or paper. I had a few chicks' growth stunted due to them eating bedding.

100 degrees can be a bit too hot, I recommend nothing higher than 90 degrees, so can a 250 watt bulb in my opinion. Raise the lamp to lower the temperature.

Yep, you're right, 100 F is too hot, not sure what I was thinking there... I typically do 95 first week, then drop by 5 degrees each week until I can just remove the lamp or move them outside. I must have been thinking about the temp of the incy for the first day or so until all chicks have hatched.

Back
Top Bottom