New chicken owner! A few questions.

AmberSmol

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 27, 2014
Texas
I have a few questions that I have received mixed answers to so I am not sure what is correct.
First question: how old do your chickens need to be before you move them to the coop? My chickens will be four weeks this wednesday. I have read many articles about this subject. Some say 4 weeks while others say 5 weeks.

Second question: upon moving them into the coop, if the temperature at night drops down to the 50's-60's is a heat lamp recommended?

Third question: Is it nessecary to have a dim light in the coop during the night hours? I have read a pamphlet that claims chickens need up to 17 hours of light a day to keep their laying cycle on track. And if there is not enough light present, then it could throw off an entire laying cycle. Is this true? And should I have a light source for my young chickens now when I move them into the coop?

If your chicks have feathers & it's dry, 4 weeks should be fine. 5 is better if the coop is drafty.

I never put a heat lamp out because I don't have power. I gave mine a dog house with hay & they huddled in. Again, dry is good. Damp is bad at that age.

I also don't supplement with light (no power) and my girls did slow down in the winter. Didn't stop, just slowed down. You wouldn't want a light to run 24/7 because the girls need darkness, too. If you decide to use a light, you would probably want a timer. There are numerous facts around about light vs no light. Read a lot & do what fits you best.

If your chicks have feathers & it's dry, 4 weeks should be fine. 5 is better if the coop is drafty.

I never put a heat lamp out because I don't have power. I gave mine a dog house with hay & they huddled in. Again, dry is good. Damp is bad at that age.

I also don't supplement with light (no power) and my girls did slow down in the winter. Didn't stop, just slowed down. You wouldn't want a light to run 24/7 because the girls need darkness, too. If you decide to use a light, you would probably want a timer. There are numerous facts around about light vs no light. Read a lot & do what fits you best.

Thanks so much that helps a lot!

I have a few questions that I have received mixed answers to so I am not sure what is correct.
First question: how old do your chickens need to be before you move them to the coop? My chickens will be four weeks this wednesday. I have read many articles about this subject. Some say 4 weeks while others say 5 weeks.

Second question: upon moving them into the coop, if the temperature at night drops down to the 50's-60's is a heat lamp recommended?

Third question: Is it nessecary to have a dim light in the coop during the night hours? I have read a pamphlet that claims chickens need up to 17 hours of light a day to keep their laying cycle on track. And if there is not enough light present, then it could throw off an entire laying cycle. Is this true? And should I have a light source for my young chickens now when I move them into the coop?

Don't put a light in the coop until *after* your pullets have established good laying habits; too many hours of light can push them into production before attaining full growth and that can cause serious problems.

I move mine out when they are fully feathered. They need those shoulder feathers before going out. Some breeds mature earlier than others, so it depends on the breed and the individual biddy.

If they have a house, can get out of wind and rain, and have a roost, they will huddle up together if they are cold. They will also put their heads under their wings. Sometimes pullets who are friends will put their heads under the wing of a friend.

Back
Top Bottom