New chicken parents !!!

rehdancer

Songster
5 Years
Apr 2, 2019
Northern Wisconsin
OK, folks, I've had my 12 chicks for, oh, 3 hours now. They're 3 wks old, so they all have some feathers - maybe you'd call that the teenage period??? Necks are still downy but the rest of the body is trying to feather out. They're combo of Barred Rock, White Leghorn, Giant White, and some sort of Cochin. Some are getting feathers on their feet (not what I would've wished, but I was choosing for females and looking more at combs). They're in a giant dog crate (top removed) in the basement, where it never gets below 60 degrees. I think I'm going to run out of room fairly quickly! MDH is working on the coop - roof is on, one side is up today so far.
My Great Pyrenees is on high alert, as there are invaders making funny noises in the house. He sniffed them a little when I got home but was mostly skittish around them (they move quickly and he's not used to that). He's been barking at the front door, then the back door. It's gonna be a long night...

Attachments

• IMG_0864.JPG
    IMG_0864.JPG
    444.8 KB · Views: 8
You need to give them a warm place 24/7 and lower the temperature in relationship to how many feathers they have. If they move away from the heat source they are likely too warm. They should be fully feathered in another week or two. Good luck with your wee ones.

Back
Top Bottom