New Chickens in new zone

FourHelpingHens

In the Brooder
May 5, 2024
Hello from East TN. I’ve raised chickens for 15 years in CA. Our family moved to TN a couple years ago and decided to get four girls (BO, BR, RIR, Americauna). Our city requires them to stay in a run so I’m trying to figure ways everyone keeps it clean/dry/enriching.

I’m going with Omlet Eglu as I’ve used them forever. I’m not against letting them into our main fenced yard sometimes but we have hawks! So, help a girl out with small space solutions.

Welcome to BYC. How much space do you have to dedicate to a coop run combination? Just a simple 4 x 4 coop with an additional 18" for attached external nests boxes and a 4× 12 covered run would be the minimum in my opinion. And 8 x 8 run would be even better.

Welcome to BYC. How much space do you have to dedicate to a coop run combination? Just a simple 4 x 4 coop with an additional 18" for attached external nests boxes and a 4× 12 covered run would be the minimum in my opinion. And 8 x 8 run would be even better.
The setup we have is 4x12 partially covered run. It’s the Omlet Eglu Cube with the attached 12’ run. We stuck with four hens instead of six because it felt too small for six.

The setup we have is 4x12 partially covered run. It’s the Omlet Eglu Cube with the attached 12’ run. We stuck with four hens instead of six because it felt too small for six.
I agree. Four hens is probably your maximum. There is a lot to be said for a small flock; less diva hen drama, more time to devote to each of them, and less expense.

Back
Top Bottom