New chicks and new rooster

Lolemar22

Chirping
Mar 24, 2024
Hello šŸ‘‹
Newbie here.
Got a few chicks which are 4 weeks old already and now I got a 6 mo old rooster.
Have the chicks on a brooder set up in my garage (still in the 50s in central fl) so I am planning on moving them to the coop in about 2 weeks or so but I got a new (buff orpington as well) rooster today, which I placed already inside the coops to get it acclimated but I was told I cannot move the chicks until they are at least 6 weeks old.
I can keep the rooster outside the coop and inside the run so they can see each other but not be together at the beginning. Is this correct? What's the beat advice you can give me?
Pic of rooster and chicks
TIA for any guidance you can provide.
L.

1000006594.jpg

1000006590.jpg

Welcome to BYC!
The first picture above is the run that is attached to a prefab coop or is that cage inside of a larger run?
I am trying to figure out how much room you have total/floor space.
Thanks for the welcome message! . That is the run attached to the coop, which is also inside of a horse stall I closed in with wire, which is about 16'x16'.

You have two roosters PLUS all the chicks pictured?

There is no way in the coop and run are big enough for all. I'm not even sure the stall itself would be big enough for two roosters.

Is the stall predator proof with hardware cloth?
Only one rooster and 9 chicks. I'm planning on setting up a separate space for the rooster inside the corral but I am just trying to work with the space I need to separate them at night. Idea is to have them loose during most of day (have an acre for them to run around). Yes corral has double walls (using pallet wood) and totally enclosed in for protection.

Back
Top Bottom