PattersonTrio

Hatching
Apr 19, 2024
Hi! I just brought home 3 chicks today! They are approximately 2 weeks old. I’m sure I’ll have a lot of questions as I go along and figure all of this out but first question is on temperature!

I live in Charlotte, NC and it’s already starting to get toasty here. My plan is to keep them in the garage until they are ready for the coop. Today got up to about 90 and with the garage closed it stays a smidge warmer (although no direct sun does help it stay a little cool). It’s still getting down to 60s at night so absolutely keeping the heat lamp on them but is it necessary during the day?

They seem a little panty, they’ve been out there solo for quiet time for about 7 hours and one still seems panty. I’m not sure if it’s stress or heat. I turned off the heat lamp because my understanding is if it’s 85 or over they should be good.

Is this correct! Any thoughts?

I’m new to chicks too but I believe that’s a tad warm for sure. Definitely turn the heat off during the day and possibly open a window, maybe next week when they’re supposed to be a bit cooler each week. Mine were always a bit cooler than the “chart” and they did just fine. I even had ambient temp at 55° at night and turned their heat off totally at about 4 weeks of age. I just learned to read their behavior. If yours are panting then I’d say cool it down. Good luck 👍 ❤️

A 2 weeks they won't need heat during the day with those temperatures, and opening a window would be helpful.

If the coop is ready and you can run electricity out there, it might be better to brood in the coop rather than garage since that should be more secure and ventilated.

Back
Top Bottom