new drake in all drake flock

DucksandGoats

Chirping
Feb 22, 2023
Hi friends!

I haven’t been on here in a while. I thought I read a post about keeping an all drake flock, but can’t seem to find it. Anyway, if you don’t feel like reading a lot, skip to the third paragraph for the question.

Some back story on my original flock: In November of 2022, I adopted my friend’s 3 male ducks. 2 Swedish Blue clutch brothers, and one jumbo Pekin. They lived previously together, mostly peacefully. The two brothers do not attempt to “mate” the Jumbo Pekin, but they do “mate” each other. I have found separating them to cause more stress, since they are an odd number, and one will always be solo. If separated, the brothers spend the entire time pacing the fence that separates them until they are reunited. So, I only give them a 30 min “time out” if I see a super aggressive “mating” happening. It seems to do the trick. The Jumbo Pekin just keeps the peace, and mostly stays out of it but has a lot to say and I swear he’s trying to break it up! I know that drakes’ hormones are supposed to calm down by their 3rd spring, so I’m less concerned knowing it’s only getting better. (& witnessing that it actually has).

Two weeks ago I took in a regular sized Pekin who was in rough shape and about to be killed. He could barely lift his head and had zero energy. They assumed his neck was broken and wanted to cull. After taking him in, letting him feel safe, watching him and then examining. I realized his neck was not broken and all and that the reason he could not lift it was due to massive inflammation surrounding open wounds. I flushed his wounds daily, and gave oral antibiotics twice a day (with vet recommendation), I adjusted his water and food bowl so that he didn’t have to strain his neck, and today he is 98% healed up. He walks stiff and sits frequently, so I assume he needs a niacin boost (as they feed 50% corn where he came from).

I would love to integrate him in with my 3 boys! How is this best done? Right now, my 3 and the 1 new guy have their own grassy areas that are separated by chicken wire. The could go about their business, but they spend the day huddled next to each other, separated by the thin fence. One of the Swedes & the JPekin are pretty calm about his presence. They’re interested and sit with him, but mostly accept that he’s just right there. My one Swede, Poke, 30% of the day is poking at the chicken wire and at the new guy. New guy never reacts. Just kind of eats it up and stays completely calm. He seems to enjoy it because he can back off the fence line an extra foot or so, but chooses to just settle in right next to the fence where Poke is… poking. (He was appropriately named by the 3 year old who raised him.)

My guess is that I should keep them separated and let them get super familiar through the fence until the fall rolls around and hormones die down. I don’t know how old the new guy is, but he doesn’t seem young to me. Hoping he’s around the same age as mine, if not a year or two older. I worry about him eventually hurting my Jumbo Pekin (his name is Pines and I love him, fiercely). Right now Pines has it made because the two Swede brothers don’t mess with him at all. He has first dibs on the pond, and they never attempt to mount him. He is like their passive leader but so soft, so Poke steps up and plays the role of the muscle, if that makes sense. Peek (the other Swede) is just third string, but has the highest level of hormones coursing through him. It’s usually him starting “playful trouble” with his brother.

Ok. That’s it, those are my thoughts… I’d love to hear all of yours! I thought it would be sweet to give this sweet new comer a chance at a safer and potentially calmer life, especially being tucked away safely at night. He seems to really appreciate that part. He comes to the back door once it gets dark. I open the door and he walks right in. I don’t have a separate coop for him yet. They never coop any of the ducks where he came from & the vet thinks his injuries were possibly from a raccoon attack. I think he likes it here, and drakes have my heart as they are far harder to rehome. Willing to give integration a chance, with some guidance or recommendations.

Last edited:
I'd def keep them like you have them now. Putting your new drake in with them will bring nothing but hormone rage and this guy doesn't need that. Hopefully by summers end fall beginning they will have settled down enough to start letting them be together with supervision. That is so awesome you saved this Pekin and he is now 98% healed. He does need buddies and what your doing is great. We have had others keep and all drake flock and have had to do very similar to what your doing now over the worst hormone months. Then have them together once its over Even using dog crates for over night in the coop.
@ruthhope has an all drake flock.

Did you read this drake isn't even 100% why put him through more trauma? In time it can be done hopefully without this drake having to suffer more but of course this is just my humble opinon. I have seen what damage drakes can do to one another I'd hate to think I would intentionally put one through it when they have already been through so much.

Did you read this drake isn't even 100% why put him through more trauma? In time it can be done hopefully without this drake having to suffer more but of course this is just my humble opinon. I have seen what damage drakes can do to one another I'd hate to think I would intentionally put one through it when they have already been through so much.

i skipped to the third paragraph..... :( being that he isnt 100% i retract my statement. i still would put him in there supervised. but not leave him. wait till breeding season is done.

I agree with @Miss Lydia

As you have a setup thst works so that the new, healing, drake is not lonely, keep doing the same until the fall when the new one will have fully healed and, with extra niacin and vitamins should have his energy levels back. You could give him Rooster Booster Poultry Cell in his water and Durvet high level Vit B Complex on some treats every day.

Once you let the boys mix during the day, do partition off a corner in your duck house, or put a dog crate in there for him to sleep safely at night. My boys are mainly muscovy and my various pekin drakes have always slept in dog crates in the duck house. They like it: their own luxury pad!

Thank you for the replies!!! Ok, I will keep this set up going for now and plan to section him a spot in their coop. He’s still in the house, and is a surprisingly well mannered guy, but I think he’s at the point now where he can start spending the night “with” his new buddies.

My thought is to start swapping them around so my 3 get used to seeing him in other areas that are “theirs” since he’ll be in their coop as well. Their coop and pond share a fenced in area. I was thinking that after the boys have their morning swim, the new guy could have a turn and just spend some general time in that area. Right now he has the winter kiddie pool all to himself. It would be nice to give him a tad more space to swim and start with the others getting used to him really being in their area and not off to the side.

My boys have a “one at a time” rule in the pond that they enforce. It seems like the water gives them an instant extra strong shot of hormones, and they try to control it. I’m worried at how eventually this guy will fit in with the water rule.

Good plan! Yes, drakes often have pecking order in access to their pool and food. That looks like one at a time, if enforced down the order. My boss drake enforces his status but the other boys generally do not. So after boss drake's first dibs, the others are more likely to share.

Back
Top Bottom