New duckling owner. Needing advice

Gingernutt

Chirping
Apr 14, 2023
Hey, So i hatched a muscovy duckling from an egg I found at work and its now 5 weeks old but i wasn't lucky enough to find another egg at the same time as this one was in incubator ( i didnt expect to hatch successfully with me being a first timer) so I bought some muscovy eggs and sadly some didn't make it but 1 did and it hatched 2/3days ago and I wanted to Introduce it to my current duckling but my older duckling went to attack the new baby feet. I'm unsure how I can introduce these two to like each other, as my older one was raised alone for 5 weeks.

Fix your brooder so one is one side the other on the other side of some type of fencing I used hardware cloth and wrapped the edges so they wouldn't get poked. My youngest were on one side of the fence and my older ducklings were on the other. this lets them see each other but gives the youngest time to get on their legs real well and also keeps the older ones from picking on them After a week like this start letting them be together with supervision eventually they will be best buds but it takes time and pateince.
:welcome

Fix your brooder so one is one side the other on the other side of some type of fencing I used hardware cloth and wrapped the edges so they wouldn't get poked. My youngest were on one side of the fence and my older ducklings were on the other. this lets them see each other but gives the youngest time to get on their legs real well and also keeps the older ones from picking on them After a week like this start letting them be together with supervision eventually they will be best buds but it takes time and pateince.
:welcome
I do that tomorrow, I got really worried my older one just hated the little one because it being raised alone and I know they shouldn't be on their own because they are social. I hear them both chirping to each other at night but I know my older one is very pecky. I'm not 100% sure of their genders and i don't partically want to try to vent sex incase I do it wrong and hurt them.

This is the best way to introduce new birds to older ones. If they can live side by side and see each other that will help them to warm up especially your 5 week old. And if your 5 week old never saw another duck then she has no idea this new duckling is a duck lol
Of course we love pictures so when you get a minute how about sharing them with us.

This is the best way to introduce new birds to older ones. If they can live side by side and see each other that will help them to warm up especially your 5 week old. And if your 5 week old never saw another duck then she has no idea this new duckling is a duck lol
Of course we love pictures so when you get a minute how about sharing them with us.
The little one is Popcorn and the bigger one is Jellybean

Attachments

• 20230414_212659.jpg
    20230414_212659.jpg
    422.1 KB · Views: 7
  • 20230409_194257.jpg
    20230409_194257.jpg
    267.2 KB · Views: 8
They are adorable. ❤️ My Muscovy drake imprinted on me when he hatched because his mom attacked him so we brought him inside with us. He was a spoiled little duckling still is and he'll be 12 yrs old June 2nd. I am sure once Jellybean gets used to Popcorn they will be fast friends.

I wouldn't worry about sexing them right now and yes they can be injured if we don't know what we are doing. Just keep pictures coming, there are enough of us Muscovy owners here that we can help you figure it out as they grow.

Oh Jellybean got spoiled alot because it had a difficult hatching took 40/41 days to hatch and was in a weird position and couldn't move to get out or break the shell, so I had to help alittle just to get its head out and jellybean did the rest but jellybean was soo weak, couldn't stand or anything for nearly 3 days but luckily pulled through and is doing so good now

Thank you, sadly had alot of bad luck recently with girl muscovies lost 7 of them 2 weeks ago and another 6 today. Genuinely can't find the cause for the deaths either. Worried about my 2 newest girls now if they will survive or not. But my almost adults boys and girl are doing extremely well.

Back
Top Bottom