New EE pullet going after my adorable bantam Silkie

Chickie Newbie

Chirping
Jun 22, 2015
Tucson, AZ
Hi all,
A little advice, please. I got four one day old chicks all raised together and all friends, three full size (Welsummer, Red Star, and Marans, and a darling little buff Silkie bantam.) They're about 15 weeks now. Then because I couldn't leave well enough alone, I got two EE pullets from my local feed store about three weeks ago. They were scared in the beginning, but now one of the EEs (Ione) is terrorizing my little Silkie, Goldie. I can't stand it! It's interesting that the other three original chicks will run interference from time to time and put the EE in her place, but not often enough.

They are in a large enclosed coop and I have provided several hiding places but as a new chicken owner, it distresses me to see this behavior. Any advice on how to handle this aggression would be appreciated. Do you think this is something that will pass?

More than likely they are just getting their pecking order together. Watch for any signs of blood. Some feather pulling is normal, but make sure they are not beating her up. I have put aggressive chickens in a dog crate for a couple weeks to "readjust their attitudes". Sometimes it works, sometimes not. Your little chicken may either have to stand up to the others, or be at the bottom of the pecking order.

Thanks much for the advice. If she doesn't adjust her attitude, I'll try the dog crate. Hopefully, this is just a pecking order thing and will pass.

Back
Top Bottom