New eggs in the loft!

tacothechicken

Crowing
9 Years
Apr 2, 2015
Katy TX
So I will admit I wasn't paying close attention to my nests after my recent loss of my two favorite boys over vacation and so we're now on what I think, is day 13 or so? Of incubation of my Figurita hen to my random mystery Cock, he's a short face SOMETHING lol but he's quite sturdy compared to my homers and a little bigger height and length wise. I just candled one for first and probably last time of incubation today and it was clearly well incubated and developing(and it was the less protected egg) so hopefully that's a good sign. The two are also MUCH more diligent about always covering the eggs than my grizzled pair so hopefully they'll both survive to hatch atleast! My Short face SOMETHING hen(looks almost identical to the male) who married Toast my feral,also layed an egg some point in these last few days and although I'm not sure if it'll hatch(she's hovering over it rather than laying on it & the egg was clearly cold when I handled it today) they seem quite proud, so imma just let them go for it I guess! Hopefully I'll have some successfull early spring squab!
Here's a pic if anyone has guesses as To what they are lol. Oh and they both have feathered legs!
20190115_090420.jpg
20190115_104844.jpg
20190112_091653.jpg

First baby!!!! Some time last night the first chick hatched! Have yet to see it but mom's working hard to keep the tiny thing warm in our 17° F weather!
20190205_073348.jpg

Alright I have a question :/ so to raise chances of survival once parents are no longer brooding babies and cause my loft is uninsulated I was wondering if I could move parents and chicks to rabbit hutch in our shop? That way i could put a small space heater out and wouldn't need to worry about babies freezing to death(their nest box absorbs water runoff from roof :/) plus I lost a bird while I was gone to something getting Into the loft, and I still don't know how, or what! Would it work? or would mom and dad get stressed? The hutch is ~4l×2wx2t id only have them out there till babies were feathered out them move them back to the loft. Thanks for the advice guys!

Alright I have a question :/ so to raise chances of survival once parents are no longer brooding babies and cause my loft is uninsulated I was wondering if I could move parents and chicks to rabbit hutch in our shop? That way i could put a small space heater out and wouldn't need to worry about babies freezing to death(their nest box absorbs water runoff from roof :/) plus I lost a bird while I was gone to something getting Into the loft, and I still don't know how, or what! Would it work? or would mom and dad get stressed? The hutch is ~4l×2wx2t id only have them out there till babies were feathered out them move them back to the loft. Thanks for the advice guys!
That size is about the average for a breeding box. I don't know why that wouldn't work. Water getting into the nest box is definitely a problem.
@Hokum Coco put the nest in a styrofoam cooler with an entrance cut into it. That could keep the nest warmer and drier.

Back
Top Bottom