New flock 2024

Ecatocsc

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 26, 2019
Hi good to here from yall yes love being part of the coop. Foxes got in & killed the last 2 of my pet speckled Sussex. So in Jan 2nd I picked up 7 rock bars & 3 brown & black ones now they should be laying any day. They were hatched 12/23...

I'm having a difficult time training the new chickens to using the nesting boxes I'm trying using eggs planted in the boxes anyone have any suggestions?

I'm having a difficult time training the new chickens to using the nesting boxes I'm trying using eggs planted in the boxes anyone have any suggestions?
If they are new to laying, sometimes it takes them a while to know when they need to lay and where to go to do it, laying out in the run at first. Make sure your boxes are clean, easy to access and yes, keep fake eggs in the boxes at all times. Many birds don't fall for golf balls, so use the real looking ceramic eggs. Also, keep the birds inside in the morning when they generally need to lay, they may not come back in to use the boxes until they are extremely used to using them.

They should figure it out soon!

Back
Top Bottom