New flock options

Bdumoch

Hatching
Mar 29, 2024
Prescott, az
Looking to start a new flock of about three or four bantams. looking for friendly, decent egg laying and terrible flyers (I have a completely fenced in backyard, but one side is an old fence at about 4 1/2 feet high). These are the options I have near me at the moment. Any guidance is appreciated or other commonly found breeds I should look for?

$40 frizzles
Easter Eggers $35
Lavender Orpington $45
Cream Legbar $40
Green Queens! $40 Green egg layer
Lakeside Egger $40 Blue egg layer
White Sultan $45 rare!
White Crested Black Polish $40
Buff Polish $40
Silver Spangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben $45 rare!
Sapphire Olive Eggers $40
Easter Eggers $40
Welsummer $35
White Silkies $35
Black Silkies $35
Splash Silkies $35
Cream Legbars $40 blue eggs
Cookies and Cream $35

Many on the list are not bantams.
To get bantam non-flyers that are friendly, I would go with the Silkies if they are good quality. Splash ones are very cute. Were there pictures associated with this advertisement?

Polish are bantam and not good fliers because of the crests, but can be standoffish.

All of these are Large Fowl and decent fliers: Cream Legbars, Cookies and Cream, Easter Eggers, Olive Eggers, Orpingtons, Welsummer, and Green Queens.
Don't know what a Lakeside Egger is.

What amount of eggs would be "decent" for you? Many bantam breeds aren't necessarily good layers. It depends on the specific line rather than the breed as a whole. So ask the seller how many eggs a week, and at what age they start laying.
Silkie and Polish eggs can be small or medium, and infrequent or 3-5 per wk.

If you're worried about them jumping fences, it's less about the height & more about how well they can comfortably roost on it.

Even my fatter hens can jump 5' to 6' in the air if they're motivated enough, but they're not keen on jumping on top of anything they can't stand on: so they can hop on top of the gates I've got on my back deck, but they don't mess with the wire fence I've got around the property.

As others have pointed out, most of those aren't available as bantams. But even at standard size I really like both my cream legbars and my olive eggers. The latter are the more reliable layers.

Good to know as they were labeled bantam pullets on the ad.its not about eggs it’s about an ongoing spider problem in our yard for years and desire to try a few chickens. Eggs are a bonus. The fence is the old wooden type but pressed up against a chain link at the same height (guess that’s a crapshoot).

Also have black australorp, Easter egger, and cream legbar near me (I understand these are standard size) out of those three which would be the best overall with three silkies?

Back
Top Bottom