New Fuzzy Butts! First time chicken raiser!

Sinfonian

Songster
8 Years
9 Years
Jan 24, 2011
Seattle area
Just got 3 of our 4 chicks yesterday. Pics and my experiences to-date are on my blog (see my link below).

However, one did jump for it and land on the ground about 3 feet down. Now today she has a little redish brown wart just above her vent. Is this something to worry about? I'll take a pic of it when the camera battery recharges, hehe.

Anyway, all four of us are extatic to have the new additions to the family. I just wish I'd found a better spot than the spare bathroom to keep them. Who wants to sit on the can to watch Chicken TV? hehe.

yeahhhhh
love.gif
those
jumpy.gif
's
welcome-byc.gif
frow.gif

The fall won't likely do too much damage, especially if there's lots of shavings on the floor. My little Sassy Pants fell out of the nest box (4 feet), then tumbled right out of the coop (1 foot) -- at 1 1/2 days old! I'm not saying it's a good thing for them to do it, but it seems they are tough little monkeys.

Have fun with your new babes!
jumpy.gif

My landlady lets her chickens have the run of the property with no coop so chickens lay eggs in all sort of strange places. Like the top shelf of the storage unit behind my house, a good 7 foot drop. Mama laid her eggs up there and yesterday 4 chicks tumbled out the little things were only a day old, they all survived and are just fine. I put them in a lower container and moved the ones that were still on the shelf into the other container. THAT was one angry Bantam mommy!

Ok figured I would post these here instead of starting another thread, NEW BABIES THIS MORNING
81831_img_1028.jpg

81831_img_1027.jpg

81831_img_1024.jpg

81831_img_1023.jpg

81831_img_1022.jpg

CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHAT THESE ARE?
I ordered, 5delwares
5wyndottes assorted colors
10speckled sussex
5buff orpingtons
5barred plymouth rocks, which I don't think theres any in the batch
and my delwares didn't ship at all only half my speckled sussex,
help guys this newbie has no clue what she has here, see other help dead baby thread to see the 3 that didn't make it, I also need to know .what those were.
Also wondering if anyones knows how long I should leave there mushed up boiled eggs in there? before I put out there chick starter they do have it almost gone now, and I sprinkled it with the feed before I put it in there.
Really curious as to what the fuzzy yellow with gray backs are??? I looked at all my babies in the breed chart and see none like this...... Kim

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom