New Hampshire

uchytil

Crowing
13 Years
Apr 28, 2011
TSC had pullets for sale. In one stock tank were BSLinks, Silver Laced Wyandottes, and New Hampshires. In another stock tank were straight run New Hampshire Reds. This was how they were listed, however, the NH pullets looked different than the straight run NH Reds. Again, that was how they were listed, and I do know that NH Red is the same as NH (at least that's what I read somewhere). I'm not new to chickens but I've never had NH's. I know for certain what the Silver Laced Wyandottes and BSL's look like so I picked out a few of the NH pullets (which, again, look different than the SR NH's (they were all light reddish). Here's some pictures and what I wsould like are some opinions on these girls. Thank you! John in Michigan.

New Hampshire is the proper name, some people like to throw Red after it. But, they are speaking of the same breed.
As for your chicks, it is to early to determine their gender. Wait until they are feathered (approximately 5-8 weeks) and post some more photos. You should get an answer then.

Last edited:
No, I'm not looking to sex them, I am looking to see what people think they are - breed wise.

They look like our NH did when we got some last year. Although ours didn't have those stripes on the wings, at least not that many.

The thing I hate about getting chicks at any place who offers chick days is sometimes you can get something other than what you think you got. Just this year we picked up 3 BR, 3 BSL, 3 Leghorns 3 Jersey Giants. Well they're almost 2 months now and one of the "JG" is black and orange! Some places don't allow you to pick up chicks like at TSC, you need to get someone that works there. But we got these at Family Farm and Home where there isn't a worker anywhere near the chicks! So, I'm beginning to wonder if it's a BSL. I don't really mind but I had planned on 3 JG.

John, did you get them from the Fremont store? It could be that they had some Rhode Island reds in the mix too. Would you like me to get pics of my two NH babies to compare with?
Ok, I went and got pics anyway just in case you wanted to see them. They are 9 days old. I think yours look more like the Rhode Island reds.

Last edited:
John, did you get them from the Fremont store? It could be that they had some Rhode Island reds in the mix too. Would you like me to get pics of my two NH babies to compare with?
Ok, I went and got pics anyway just in case you wanted to see them. They are 9 days old. I think yours look more like the Rhode Island reds.

Got them in North Muskegon, 10 of them! They were labeled NH. I was so excited and then I saw some other NH chicks online that looked different. Made me wonder. They were also supposed to be pullets. My wife said they look like chicken hawks, ha ha, because they are already flying (hopping) up on the feeder top which none of my other chicks have ever done. Anyway, it'll be a wait and see thing now. As long as they are girls I'll be happy.

Back
Top Bottom