New hens not getting along with others

oakleyguy89

In the Brooder
May 4, 2016
Idaho
Hey guys so last week I got some new hens. A black rock and a blue bantam cochin. Well these two are not letting my silver laced roost on the bars and they are forced to lay in the nesting boxes. Any idea what I can do?

So just barely big enough for an established flock. When integrating new flock members, space beyond the minimum is important for a smooth transition. If a bigger coop isn't an option, your old girls will just have to deal with sleeping in the boxes until they get used to the new girls, which could take months.

So just barely big enough for an established flock. When integrating new flock members, space beyond the minimum is important for a smooth transition. If a bigger coop isn't an option, your old girls will just have to deal with sleeping in the boxes until they get used to the new girls, which could take months.
I do let all the girls free range during the day to help them get more accustomed to each other. They all get along during that time, it's just when they get inside do they get pecked on. My original girls are younger as well so from research could be a big part as well. There's not been any blood or anything, just the occasional Peck and squawk. It just breaks my heart because I feel bad for them, but every flock has to have a pecking order

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom