New here from Texas and new to Chickens!

Kalamity

Songster
9 Years
Jul 22, 2014
My Coop
My Coop
Hello!

I am a mom of 3 kids, 6, 8 and 10. My kids BEGGED for chickens and I relented over the winter.
We got 9 Buff Orpingtons and my kids raised them in dog kennels in their bed room in the house...until I kicked them out. I have working dogs so I put up one of my kennels and made them a nice home outside...since, I have recently built them an electrified poulty netting fence and doing a chicken coop now. It just needs doors and the nesters hung then some roosting poles!

I became a widow last year and since...we do a lot of things at home....we started gardening and just now started getting eggs....they are still small and not regular yet...but the kids were over the moon for it!

I have been lurking here a while and love it so far!

I found a great recipe yesterday for Chicken electrolyte water and they went crazy for it. Tonight, we cut up blueberries, strawberries and grapes are are freezing them for the chickens to attack in the heat tomorrow...can't wait!

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Glad your kids convinced you to raise chickens! LOL Do you enjoy your buff orps? I love them!!

Please feel free to ask any questions!

Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you decided to join our flock. A lot of us were lurkers before finally joining. I'm sorry for the loss of your husband. It's always painful to lose a spouse or other loved ones. Buff Orpingtons are a great choice for children; very calm and gentle birds. I have 4 of them in my flock, and my granddaughter has made pets of them. Your BOs will love the chilled treats you are preparing for them. Good luck with your flock.

welcome-byc.gif
Very sorry to hear your husband passed away. It's great that your kids embrace the chickens and this is a family project. Your chickens will be thrilled with their frozen treats, watermelon is usually a favorite too.

Buff orps are a very good breed to have - gentle and also some of the females tend to go broody, which is always better than using an incubator. If you don't have a rooster, you can buy fertile eggs of any breed(s) that interests you . Once your broody has decided to sit on her eggs, you just swap out hers for the fertile ones and she would raise them as her own.

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Sorry for the loss of your husband. Good luck with your gardening project and new flock, and congratulations on those first eggs.

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

So sorry you lost your husband.
hugs.gif
But it sounds like you have a lovely flock! Buff Orps make great pets. Very docile, friendly and are great layers too. You will love this breed.

Good luck with all your projects and welcome to our flock!

Welcome!!
Those ice cube treats are awesome! I live in Abilene and we have been hovering around 100 degrees for the past few days. Keeps the girls happy.

Back
Top Bottom