New member from Virginia Beach, VA

andrewsdf

Hatching
8 Years
Oct 14, 2011
I have lived in Virginia Beach my entire life and grew up with Chickens, Ducks, Etc. My husband and I decided it would be great to have the kids experience the wonders of raising chickens and eating fresh organic eggs. We now have 2 Buff Orphingtons and 2 Easter Eggers. They are now 11 weeks old and my kids absolutely spoil them. I just recently found out that the City of Virginia Beach does not allow chickens unless you are zoned agriculture. We have 1 acre in a neighborhood that dates back to the 1960's. My neighbors don't seem to mind or complain. Are there any groups out there in Virginia Beach that have been trying to get the laws changed? Any information would be greatly appreciated.
smile.png

Welcome to BYC. It's possible you could be grandfathered in. You'll need to contact your city counsel person or board of zoning and find out. I lived in Va Beach from 58-63, then to Norfolk til 79. I remember how very rural it was back then. I remember going through hurricane Donna at the Beach, scary as a young kid. Times have changed there for sure. Good luck.

Thank you all for your warm welcome.
smile.png
The City of Virginia Beach has definitely changed. Two years ago I wanted to add a small apron to my driveway for an RV (It has to be parked behind the front plain of your house). Six months later and $5,000.00 dollars in attorney fees, I was able to have it installed. Mind you the apron only cost $1600.00 to be poured. Since most of my property lies within the Lynnhaven Watershed, I can’t add anything with out there approval and $$$$$$. My neighbors philosophy is don’t ask and don’t tell. This is why I am afraid to call anyone involved with the city.

Back
Top Bottom