New Member in North GA

Welcome to BYC! Will you be adding an additional hen house for the new chicks?
Hi good question.. the pic above is deceptively and the coop has a back addition you can’t really see. 9 of our 11 grown girls all sleep on one roost. So I have nearly 3 empty… the run is 16x12 coop is 4 x 9 - we let them out everyday.

Doing the math it does seem I need more coop space. What do you think? Especially if I don’t give away any chicks :/

I’m considering giving away 5 of the chicks. I got 4 from tractor supply (thinking they were buffs, that’s what the sign said) turned out to be wrong.. so TS refunded me and gave me two more of the “right” ones that also were wrong. They are Delawares.. we think…. but that got me 6 extra chicks.

Long story short: I may give them away but now I’m getting attached and also worried about finding a good home that is serious about predator proofing. So if I give away 5 that leaves me with 29…. If I DON’T give away that leaves me w 34 and I don’t think there is any doubt additional coop space is needed…? 12x16 run, 4x9 coop with 4 almost 4 ft roosts - free range daily.

:) thanks for any insight. Love my girls (definitely got a rooster this chick batch) and want them to continue to thrive and live their best lives ❤️

Hi good question.. the pic above is deceptively and the coop has a back addition you can’t really see. 9 of our 11 grown girls all sleep on one roost. So I have nearly 3 empty… the run is 16x12 coop is 4 x 9 - we let them out everyday.

Doing the math it does seem I need more coop space. What do you think? Especially if I don’t give away any chicks :/

I’m considering giving away 5 of the chicks. I got 4 from tractor supply (thinking they were buffs, that’s what the sign said) turned out to be wrong.. so TS refunded me and gave me two more of the “right” ones that also were wrong. They are Delawares.. we think…. but that got me 6 extra chicks.

Long story short: I may give them away but now I’m getting attached and also worried about finding a good home that is serious about predator proofing. So if I give away 5 that leaves me with 29…. If I DON’T give away that leaves me w 34 and I don’t think there is any doubt additional coop space is needed…? 12x16 run, 4x9 coop with 4 almost 4 ft roosts - free range daily.

:) thanks for any insight. Love my girls (definitely got a rooster this chick batch) and want them to continue to thrive and live their best lives ❤️
It's a conundrum for sure.
I always have a hard time thinning my flock. I ask too many questions of the impending home, and they often decide I'm too much trouble to deal with. At this point, I have 5 coops. Lol.( I have so many broody hens.) We will hatch no more chicks.

You probably will need another coop & run, but in the long run, you'll be lesser stressed.

Back
Top Bottom