Redhead_Gardener

Chirping
May 21, 2021
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
I grew up on a small farm on a small farm in Glouscestershire England. Having pigs, chickens, and geese. In my first marriage of 10 years we owned a ranch for boarding and breaking horses as well as a productive and sustaining chicken farm.
I spent most of my life trying to get OFF the farm. Well, now, 10 years later and older, I want back ON the farm! 😂

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
currently have 7 chickens and 2 ducks

(3) What breeds do you have?
1 Buff Orpington
2 White Leghorns
1 Easter Egger
1 Olive Egger
1 Barred/plymouth Rock
1Golden Laced Wyandotte

2 Mallards or Rouens...not certain 🤷‍♀️

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?

eggs and personalities of each chicken

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

Gardener. Both vegetable and flower. I also enjoy knitting and reading. I'm a frequent flyer in the gym and am a former competitor in bikini bodybuilding. (Genetic disabilities are limiting my physical abilities these days) I'm also known to bake bread.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

I lost my 17 year old son to suicide just 7 months ago. My young chickens have been wonderful therapy for me. They keep me distracted and content.

I have a daughter age 21. She still lives with me at home. She has some special needs. She is a college student and has held a job since age 14.

I was a surgical nurse and first assist for 15 years. Due to a progressively worsening genetic disorder known as Elhers Danlos Syndrome, I am unable to work within the last year.

Have to say I am struggling to comes to terms with much loss recently. My independence, my career, my son...

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community

I found byc as I would often Google for information. Learning much. Like 10 years ago when I ran a working chicken farm... We could get wormer and tetracycline at the local fed and seed.... well... not anymore. And Easter eggers??? All we had were Araucana or Ameraucanas! Those were the coloured eggers. Now we have so many more hybrid coloured egging chickens.

Or as tonight... I am still trying to decide if my ducks are mallards or rouens?!

Attachments

• FaceApp_1621058412246.jpg
    FaceApp_1621058412246.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 9
  • 20210430_163551.jpg
    20210430_163551.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 4
  • 20210519_182326.jpg
    20210519_182326.jpg
    630.6 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Welcome to BYC. Your story is so sad. I’m sorry about your son. I’m glad chickens have provided a distraction to you. Everyone here on BYC is here for you though the good times, and the bad :hugs
You sound like you have a wide variety of breeds. Make a thread in “what breed or gender is this?” For the ducks, just make sure to include that it’s a duck in the title.

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
I grew up on a small farm on a small farm in Glouscestershire England. Having pigs, chickens, and geese. In my first marriage of 10 years we owned a ranch for boarding and breaking horses as well as a productive and sustaining chicken farm.
I spent most of my life trying to get OFF the farm. Well, now, 10 years later and older, I want back ON the farm! 😂

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
currently have 7 chickens and 2 ducks

(3) What breeds do you have?
1 Buff Orpington
2 White Leghorns
1 Easter Egger
1 Olive Egger
1 Barred/plymouth Rock
1Golden Laced Wyandotte

2 Mallards or Rouens...not certain 🤷‍♀️

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?

eggs and personalities of each chicken

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

Gardener. Both vegetable and flower. I also enjoy knitting and reading. I'm a frequent flyer in the gym and am a former competitor in bikini bodybuilding. (Genetic disabilities are limiting my physical abilities these days) I'm also known to bake bread.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

I lost my 17 year old son to suicide just 7 months ago. My young chickens have been wonderful therapy for me. They keep me distracted and content.

I have a daughter age 21. She still lives with me at home. She has some special needs. She is a college student and has held a job since age 14.

I was a surgical nurse and first assist for 15 years. Due to a progressively worsening genetic disorder known as Elhers Danlos Syndrome, I am unable to work within the last year.

Have to say I am struggling to comes to terms with much loss recently. My independence, my career, my son...

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community

I found byc as I would often Google for information. Learning much. Like 10 years ago when I ran a working chicken farm... We could get wormer and tetracycline at the local fed and seed.... well... not anymore. And Easter eggers??? All we had were Araucana or Ameraucanas! Those were the coloured eggers. Now we have so many more hybrid coloured egging chickens.

Or as tonight... I am still trying to decide if my ducks are mallards or rouens?!
Welcome🤗

Back
Top Bottom