New Member (Year long reader 😉)

Apr 15, 2023
(1) Are you new to chickens?
Yes, I would say I am fairly new because there is allot of information to learn.
When did you first get chickens?
May 22, 2022 is when I finally convinced my husband to get chickens 😁

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

Oh boy, math time...🤣

I have 17 chickens in the first coop I made (I didn't think I would be adding more 🫢😬🤪).

I have 9 chickens in a smaller "make do" temporary coop (made it quick because I was having surgery).

I have 19 chicks born on March 21st in a brooder box.

I have 27 chicks born on April 10th in another brooder box (I'm in bed and don't feel like getting up to go count 😂).

There may be 2 dozen in the incubator now (I'd have to count).

I've got 48 that need to be in the incubator...

Lastly, 2 that I need to go pick up that were given to me.

So that's roughly 72 if my math and numbers are correct (that have hatched).

(3) What breeds do you have?
Salmon Favorelle, Rhode Island Red, Black Star, Easter Egger, Olive Egger, White Jersey Giant, Polish Variety, Bantam Silky Variety, Blue Adalusian, Light Brahma, Dark Brahma, Blue Cochin, and some mixes.

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?

I like eating eggs 😂
Honestly, I enjoy their company it is very therapeutic!
I am also getting into breeding chickens.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
My hobbies are probably boring to most because it's not "really" a hobby but work.
College, helping my husband with his business (building metal buildings), and my business (making custom apparel and gifts).

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
I have a husband, chickens, two dogs, and a duck (as of now).
I mentioned that above 😉
Building shops and making custom apparel.
I also consider school "work" I am enrolled full-time working on my Bachelors.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D
I found BYC through after searching different topics throughout the time I've had chickens.
In May it will be a year.
I finally decided to join because I find the forums to be informative, helpful, and drama free!
Do I get a free chicken for answering the bonus question? 🤣

(1) Are you new to chickens?
Yes, I would say I am fairly new because there is allot of information to learn.
When did you first get chickens?
May 22, 2022 is when I finally convinced my husband to get chickens 😁

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
Oh boy, math time...🤣

I have 17 chickens in the first coop I made (I didn't think I would be adding more 🫢😬🤪).

I have 9 chickens in a smaller "make do" temporary coop (made it quick because I was having surgery).

I have 19 chicks born on March 21st in a brooder box.

I have 27 chicks born on April 10th in another brooder box (I'm in bed and don't feel like getting up to go count 😂).

There may be 2 dozen in the incubator now (I'd have to count).

I've got 48 that need to be in the incubator...

Lastly, 2 that I need to go pick up that were given to me.

So that's roughly 72 if my math and numbers are correct (that have hatched).

(3) What breeds do you have?
Salmon Favorelle, Rhode Island Red, Black Star, Easter Egger, Olive Egger, White Jersey Giant, Polish Variety, Bantam Silky Variety, Blue Adalusian, Light Brahma, Dark Brahma, Blue Cochin, and some mixes.

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?
I like eating eggs 😂
Honestly, I enjoy their company it is very therapeutic!
I am also getting into breeding chickens.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
My hobbies are probably boring to most because it's not "really" a hobby but work.
College, helping my husband with his business (building metal buildings), and my business (making custom apparel and gifts).

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
I have a husband, chickens, two dogs, and a duck (as of now).
I mentioned that above 😉
Building shops and making custom apparel.
I also consider school "work" I am enrolled full-time working on my Bachelors.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D
I found BYC through after searching different topics throughout the time I've had chickens.
In May it will be a year.
I finally decided to join because I find the forums to be informative, helpful, and drama free!
Do I get a free chicken for answering the bonus question? 🤣
Hi and welcome! wow lots of chickens. a free chicken? haha

Hmmm. I'm not aware of a free chicken reward for answering the bonus question, but nice try :lau!

You are a person after my own heart! I started with a modest four-chicken coop. Then, I kept adding more birds and more buildings. My property now looks like a poultry village with all the structures.

What a wonderful, diverse flock (or flocks, depending on how you're housing them)!

Best wishes with your schooling and the family businesses! You clearly need chickens to help entertain and relax you from your busy schedule.

Welcome to BYC!

OIP.Fs9ANpmJcfXWiy8eiVC3IQHaFP

Getting those metal buildings erected is quite a process. We have three so far.

Back
Top Bottom