Welcome. Many members will say at least 3, but, my minimum number is 6. This is why...with 2-3, you will definitely want to get more; but you may not do it until there is a significant age gap 6-months or more, and this in my opinion is not good, unless you can keep the older ones in a separate coop/run that is away from the new chicks. This becomes costly and time-consuming, trust me, I have 5-coops and runs going on for only 22 chickens. After dealing with IC in my flock from bringing in older rescues, I have learned a lot. Quarantining did nothing to catch it.

If you are going to vaccinate against anything. I would vaccinate for Marek's - not that they cannot still get it, but you most likely will not lose them, or them be debilitated.

As far as your coop and run, to not lose any to predators, make sure your coop is secure, meaning any holes have 1/2 inch hardware cloth securely fastened, and your run has 1/2 inch hardware cloth walls, and either a hard top also for rain, and/or if supervised, hawk netting. Put a 1/2 inch hardware cloth apron around the coop and run unless the coop is within the run, then just the run.

Back
Top Bottom