New Mexico

Pics
R-1 residential is where I live. You have to look up your own area on a zone map. I'm definitely in the city. And, no, I don't know what would be considered Albuquerque city limits or not.

I found and wrote the BYC section on Silver City Chicken laws. It is here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/laws/display.php?State=NM&City=Silver+City&actions=search
You are allowed chickens as long as they are not a nuisance. We need to work together to change this law to a more chicken loving acceptance law, regardless of your perhaps nasty neighbors, for those of us who want our lovely biddies in our yards (personally I am out in the county where they can't bother me).

@scruffychicken: Hi, and welcome!

@zenbirder: I agree, but I think it will be hard to convince people that you should have a right to having a bird that crows at 4:30am. Mine rooster does, but my neighbors are very nice, tolerant people. Plus I give them lots of eggs.

Today is day 18 for my broody hen and her eggs here in Albuquerque, but the humidity is about 25-35% over the next 24 hrs according to weather.com. Do I need to do anything to raise the humidity in the coop for the eggs or will they do ok? I'm seeing a lot of posts about how nature knows how to do this and not to worry, but I also see posts from people obsessing about the humidity in their incubators when it's 60%.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Quote:
I've had broodies on eggs all summer in my coop, and the hatches are doing fine. I haven't worried about the humidity. I'm pretty sure it's much more humid under the mama than it is out in the regular air. Just try to leave her alone and not pick her up until you think the hatch is done. Good luck!

I've currently got a dozen silkie eggs under a silkie hen out in the coop on day 5. I love broody hens!

I'm not sure, but I think that in MY neighborhood......if the neighbors don't like the roosters singin' loudly or the goats eating their flowers (and weeds)....that the "neighbors" are required to MOVE....NOT the "critters".

But, of course, I could be MISTAKEN on this.....

Ha-Ha !!!
Junkmanme (outside of Gallup, NM)

Back
Top Bottom