New Orpingtons

J.D

Chirping
Aug 14, 2017
Britain
25333014-DA80-451D-B107-21A32355DA4F.jpeg
I have 4 new hens and a cockerel whom are really lovely. However before they came to me their living conditions weren’t great. They were in a small barn that was really dirty with thick layers on layers of poop. I know they have mites (which I can deal with) but what I’m wondering is how can I help them with their feathers?

Obviously with them being Orpingtons they have really fluffy fine feathering on their underside, which at the moment is really stringy and full of dried poop and dirt. Should I try and give them a bit of a wash? Or just leave them as they are?

Any advice would be great!

I would recommend a wash to remove as much dirt and feaces as possible. If the feathers are clinging to each other, depending how bad, dirty, close to their skin it can cause issues such as fly strike, irritation to the skin, restrict full range of movement and irritation.
Depending on your weather, a wash down with a hose and use your fingers/hands to scrub away as much as possible, a good dry off and either a warm sunny spot with clean bedding/flooring or inside till they are dry.
They may not like you for it, but they will feel better for it.
Ps.... I think with a clean up they are going to be beautiful looking girls!

I live in the north of England so it’s quite wet and chilly here at the moment ...

I will perhaps give them a bath in a pot of warm water. I think they are going to hate me haha ...

I think the rooster has leg mites too so a dunk in warm water will probably be good before I put the cream on him.

Thankyou! I think they will be lovely too <3. I did have buff Orpington’s but unfortunately a loose dog dug into my pen and killed my entire flock :( I was heartbroken. But these ladies will keep me busy I think ...

Back
Top Bottom