New predator? Injured hen

alwaystj9

Small goats & big chickens + 1 old horse
Aug 20, 2019
SE Louisiana
I have recently netted my run due to extreme hawk problems. I am also integrating a dozen new pullets (about 8-10 weeks) into my much reduced flock of 7. They spent their first night together yesterday. I found one of the young pullets half bald around her neck and left side back and her left wing severely damaged and hanging. The missing feathers appear to be cut off and not pulled out (stubble and quills still there). Is this a different predator or did one of the older hens do this? There is no sign of any other creatures being there, the run is fenced to 5 feet and 2" net overhead, no signs of tunneling. The bird is in pretty bad shape, Is this from another hen or hens?

I have recently netted my run due to extreme hawk problems. I am also integrating a dozen new pullets (about 8-10 weeks) into my much reduced flock of 7. They spent their first night together yesterday. I found one of the young pullets half bald around her neck and left side back and her left wing severely damaged and hanging. The missing feathers appear to be cut off and not pulled out (stubble and quills still there). Is this a different predator or did one of the older hens do this? There is no sign of any other creatures being there, the run is fenced to 5 feet and 2" net overhead, no signs of tunneling. The bird is in pretty bad shape, Is this from another hen or hens?
It sounds like one of your hens did that.

I think so too. I just found another, not as injured but the same pattern. I guess I'll have to be sheriff tonight.
It's puzzling to me because I haven't ever really had picking/pecking problems except between Roos.

I think so too. I just found another, not as injured but the same pattern. I guess I'll have to be sheriff tonight.
It's puzzling to me because I haven't ever really had picking/pecking problems except between Roos.
Well, how much room do you have in your coop per chicken? How big is your coop and do you make it out there as soon as the Sun comes up? If you can’t make it out there, maybe put in that automatic chicken coop door so that they can go out to the run and have more room. I am myself I have been having a problem the past few days because one of my Polish is getting its feathers picked off its head, so I wish you luck with your situation!

My coop/run is 33x65, 17 chickens. I do not shut them up, 2 usually sleep on top of the main coop. There are actually 3 sleeping buildings and many hides, they have multiple levels and tend to sleep in groups of 3 or 4 all over in there. I have a pair of sawhorses in the pen from some work I have been doing and I noticed 3 on each sawhorse. I didn't see anything going on this evening but will make a few spot checks...I watched them off and on all day and didn't see any squabbling. The torn wing pullet is in the firstaid/segregation cage and is doing better than I expected.
I actually have my first Polish chicken ever. I think it's a little roo, he is smaller than most of that bunch of teenagers, but takes no crap from the others. I'll enjoy watching that one grow up.

Cameras are a good investment. I have several and usually they will tell a story in pictures. I have made several discoveries of predators with my cameras. Good luck...

I caught one of my older hens chasing a young one, segregated her. Then I went out this morning and found 2 wings and two feet in the corner of the coop. So, it is a predator. A night-timer, too. I guess I'll be camping out. The problem with a camera is that I don't use a smart phone and most cameras seem to be smart phone oriented. I'll look at them. I can't see an obvious point of entry. The injured pullet from the first post is actually doing quite well but is still terribly off balance learning how to live with one wing. I can't get the mean kid image of pulling off flies' wings out of my head when I look at this predator's debris trail.

Back
Top Bottom