new pullets with lumpy breast!??

CrazyChookLady5

Songster
6 Years
Dec 6, 2013
Australia, NSW
hey BYCer's,
I really need help. lately my chooks haven't really been laying, they're getting old think is the problem, so I went out and brought 20 new pullets!, the man I got them from said that they're free of coccidiosis, intestinal worms, external lice, and mites. at the moment i have them all in quarantine. but there is one pullet that's breast is all plucked back (I'm not sure if it did it, or if the other chooks have been pecking at it) is it picked it up to investigate, and its got a dip in its chest and them a big bump, which is kinda hard. I probs didn't explain this properly but I'll post a picture when I can, also this is the only pullet that has this problem!'

thanks for any help

First, I'm going to just throw this out there because more than one person has been unaware of this fact- you do know that birds have a crop, yes? It is a temporary storage bag for predigested food on the chest usually on the rightish side. It expands and contracts throughout the day and night depending on how much food is in it.

Does she have a crop problem? If it is hard and is not contracting down to almost nothing overnight, then she could have an impaction. THe way to tell is to starve her overnight and feel the crop in the morning before she eats. If the crop is still full and hard, or even just has hard spots, then she has some impaction that you can try to break up.

I did what u said and its definitely not as big, but it feels kinda watery.
I saw another pullet that was limping, I checked her out but I can see any thing wrong. Would u kno. What that is??

Thanks for all the help.

Back
Top Bottom