New Rooster Need- Would a Silkie be a Good Choice?

Shalom Farm

Chirping
6 Years
Nov 23, 2013
Florida
I am looking for a very gentle Rooster that enjoy being on the ground not in the air, be gentle with the hens and love getting attention or at least be easy to catch. I was wondering if a Silkie Roo could fill that roll? Or would my other hens really have at him for his fluffiness?

I've never tried a Silkie, but I do know that my Silver-Gray Dorking dude was the friendliest and gentlest roo that I ever had. Came up to eat out of your hand, easy to pick up, didn't struggle etc. I also never had a problem with over-bred hens. I think the breed is known for its docile nature, but every bird has its individual personality, you know.

I love Dorkings! The only problem is they are too big for my special needs hens, who are bantams :( and if the rooster is ground-bound the girls stay close to the ground. I'm hoping to acquire more land, then I'll have a batch of silver grey Dorkings!

I wish I knew what my little Nugget was. Because he is the best rooster I've owned! He shows treats to the ladies (with an occasional false alarm), shows them around the yard, alerts them if anything scary, and best if all, has never ever shown aggression towards me! He is also a bantam.

Cochin's are a really docile breed and they come in bantam size. I do pony/petting zoo kids parties on the weekends and use cochin's both full size and bantam size are very docile.

Back
Top Bottom