AllensBackyardBarnyard

In the Brooder
Aug 15, 2017
Hubby and I started our very own flock in the spring of this year (2017). I had absolutely no experience with fowl, except faint childhood memories of my daddy having fightin chickens, and my uncle's farm where they roamed free & pooped everywhere. Bleah!!
He talked me into it, and I agreed reluctantly, after I saw the Barnevelders at our local feed store.

We ended up taking THIRTEEN chicks home that day. 13. We don't even eat eggs!! That brought our flock up to 18, as we had already taken in some adoptees from friends, and purchased 2 just to get them out of the conditions they were living in.

We love every one of our girls, and they all have names, and personalities!

We've got (pullets) 3 Barnevelders , 3 Barred Rocks, 3 Speckled Sussex, 3 Brown Leghorns, 1 Black Minorca (our first pullet layer), (mature girls...1 Russian Orloff, 1 black Cochin, 1 White Leghorn (who doesn't lay), 1 Barred Rock, and 1 Easter Egger (who is well past her prime, but is one of our best layers).

And then we got turkeys. Lol
We chose the heritage breed, Bourbon Red. 3 males for holiday table, and one as our breeding tom, 1 BR hen and 1 Red Bronze hen.

Our fowl are free roaming, pasture-raised, bug-eating, dust bathing, talkative, healthy and happy birds.

We live in a small town in Northern Arizona (no, it's not hot), and it's a 'truck town'. The house lots are big, so anybody can have chickens or livestock. The generality of the people here are the 'give the shirt off of their back-kind, non-pretentious, down home, salt of the earth, farming, ranching, horse/livestock, beat up truck driving-kind of people. We fit right in!

Finding BackyardChickens has been great. What an informative website! I (we) love being amongst our fellow fowl loving people. It's been a huge help, several times, as we're new to raising chickens.
I found an answer to my sick hen problem just this morning.
Everybody's input is gold. Thanks soo much! I hope that we can be of help in the future, as we learn from all y'all.

We don't have kids together, but Hubby has 4 that are 24, 22, 18, and 13. The eldest is my bestest bud, and she left Hawaii at 18 to come to Arizona to be with her daddy, and I'm so glad that she did, because not only did I get an awesomepossum friend, she introduced me to her daddy (and we found in each other what we had been needing our whole lives), and we now have a 1 1/2 year old, absolutely incredible, amazing, wonderful grandson!
The two younger are in Alabama, and are freakin awesome kids.

Our little farm is our kids now.
Add 2 goats to the flock of 25 fowl, a large garden, 3 barn kitties, and one very senior dog, and you have the zoo that is us. Lol

It's fabulous, though. It's the life we've both always wanted to live, but never got to, and this backyard barnyard life is the only way to go.
Doesn't get much better than this, does it?

Unless you get to get out in the woods & mountains for some hiking, exploring, small game hunting, cutting firewood and camping, that is.

It's the little things in life that are precious to us.

We're tickled pink to be part of this Backyard fun, and thank you for all for sharing your advice and experience!!!

Attachments

• IMG_1310.JPG
    IMG_1310.JPG
    611.5 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1616.JPG
    IMG_1616.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1911.JPG
    IMG_1911.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2453.JPG
    IMG_2453.JPG
    488.1 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2348.JPG
    IMG_2348.JPG
    729.6 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1972.JPG
    IMG_1972.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2065.JPG
    IMG_2065.JPG
    663.7 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2068.JPG
    IMG_2068.JPG
    416.8 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2359.JPG
    IMG_2359.JPG
    642.3 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2373.JPG
    IMG_2373.JPG
    693.4 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2380.JPG
    IMG_2380.JPG
    734.9 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2383.JPG
    IMG_2383.JPG
    843.2 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2034.JPG
    IMG_2034.JPG
    970.2 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2299.JPG
    IMG_2299.JPG
    968.7 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0851.JPG
    IMG_0851.JPG
    565.1 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2196.JPG
    IMG_2196.JPG
    896.3 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2728.JPG
    IMG_2728.JPG
    309.2 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2478.JPG
    IMG_2478.JPG
    403.3 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2467.JPG
    IMG_2467.JPG
    546.3 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2149.JPG
    IMG_2149.JPG
    531.9 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2672.JPG
    IMG_2672.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2674.JPG
    IMG_2674.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2679.JPG
    IMG_2679.JPG
    612 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2680.JPG
    IMG_2680.JPG
    541.4 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2363.JPG
    IMG_2363.JPG
    803.7 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_1527.JPG
    IMG_1527.JPG
    399.3 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2266.JPG
    IMG_2266.JPG
    210.1 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2275.JPG
    IMG_2275.JPG
    281.6 KB · Views: 6
Hubby and I started our very own flock in the spring of this year (2017). I had absolutely no experience with fowl, except faint childhood memories of my daddy having fightin chickens, and my uncle's farm where they roamed free & pooped everywhere. Bleah!!
He talked me into it, and I agreed reluctantly, after I saw the Barnevelders at our local feed store.

We ended up taking THIRTEEN chicks home that day. 13. We don't even eat eggs!! That brought our flock up to 18, as we had already taken in some adoptees from friends, and purchased 2 just to get them out of the conditions they were living in.

We love every one of our girls, and they all have names, and personalities!

We've got (pullets) 3 Barnevelders , 3 Barred Rocks, 3 Speckled Sussex, 3 Brown Leghorns, 1 Black Minorca (our first pullet layer), (mature girls...1 Russian Orloff, 1 black Cochin, 1 White Leghorn (who doesn't lay), 1 Barred Rock, and 1 Easter Egger (who is well past her prime, but is one of our best layers).

And then we got turkeys. Lol
We chose the heritage breed, Bourbon Red. 3 males for holiday table, and one as our breeding tom, 1 BR hen and 1 Red Bronze hen.

Our fowl are free roaming, pasture-raised, bug-eating, dust bathing, talkative, healthy and happy birds.

We live in a small town in Northern Arizona (no, it's not hot), and it's a 'truck town'. The house lots are big, so anybody can have chickens or livestock. The generality of the people here are the 'give the shirt off of their back-kind, non-pretentious, down home, salt of the earth, farming, ranching, horse/livestock, beat up truck driving-kind of people. We fit right in!

Finding BackyardChickens has been great. What an informative website! I (we) love being amongst our fellow fowl loving people. It's been a huge help, several times, as we're new to raising chickens.
I found an answer to my sick hen problem just this morning.
Everybody's input is gold. Thanks soo much! I hope that we can be of help in the future, as we learn from all y'all.

We don't have kids together, but Hubby has 4 that are 24, 22, 18, and 13. The eldest is my bestest bud, and she left Hawaii at 18 to come to Arizona to be with her daddy, and I'm so glad that she did, because not only did I get an awesomepossum friend, she introduced me to her daddy (and we found in each other what we had been needing our whole lives), and we now have a 1 1/2 year old, absolutely incredible, amazing, wonderful grandson!
The two younger are in Alabama, and are freakin awesome kids.

Our little farm is our kids now.
Add 2 goats to the flock of 25 fowl, a large garden, 3 barn kitties, and one very senior dog, and you have the zoo that is us. Lol

It's fabulous, though. It's the life we've both always wanted to live, but never got to, and this backyard barnyard life is the only way to go.
Doesn't get much better than this, does it?

Unless you get to get out in the woods & mountains for some hiking, exploring, small game hunting, cutting firewood and camping, that is.

It's the little things in life that are precious to us.

We're tickled pink to be part of this Backyard fun, and thank you for all for sharing your advice and experience!!!

:goodpost:

:frowWelcome to the flock! Lovely humans & animals you got there. :thumbsup

Back
Top Bottom