New to the chicken side of BYC.

Whiskybear

Songster
Jan 4, 2022
I’ve been on BYC for a year now but keeping to the quail forum where I belong. Now I’m looking to get into chickens and know BYC is the place to look for guidance. I’ve been around chickens a bit, but never been the one really responsible for managing them. What I have seen are problems I would like to avoid in my setup. I have the beginnings of a plan and intend to start building very soon; I’m hoping y’all can help me flesh out that plan before construction starts the wrong way. Even bad advice will give me more to think about. Thanks in advance.

The plan : build a double coop with a shared wall, attached to a large chicken wire fenced in area; up to maybe a quarter acre (I have plenty more space available, but this is how much I’m thinking ((and I’m lazy)). Divide that area into runs with gates so I can divert birds into different runs like rotating pastures with cattle. One side of the coop will be just for half a dozen layers and a rooster. The other side will be for meat birds. Probably 18 - 24 at a time (per year). The layer side will have nest boxes and roost poles; the grow out side will be bigger, but all floor. The structure will be near an outbuilding with electricity so I can use water heaters in winter and probably ceramic heat bulbs for its extreme nights; keeping the layers year round, raising the meat population over the warmer months.

The entire fenced area will be covered with netting to keep my birds in and raptors out. (We have hawks out the wazoo.) The outside fence will be fortified around the bottom edges against digging by foxes, yotes and raccoons. I’m entirely dismissing snakes as the largest we have around here might get some eggs but can’t swallow a half grown chicken. (Might be able to kill one, but I figure the others will likely kill it right after.)

What I’m trying to avoid mainly is mucky ground where they end up walking on mud balls as feet. I’m thinking moving them into one “pasture” for a couple weeks while the grass comes back in the other. That’s 4 distinct runs of different sizes for the 2 populations.

That’s about as far as my thinking has progressed. I’d like feedback as to how large the areas need to be for those numbers of birds? How quickly will they trample paths into mud? Am I underrating snakes? (We also have mink around here.) What about the area/entrance right in front of the coop doors; how much or should I cover there? What about bedding inside the coops- straw? Have I overrated chicken wire vs raccoons?

I expect this is a start and learn as you go thing like with the quail and so many other things in life, but this one is going to involve a significant initial investment of labor, not to mention money. So if your pointers can save me from some idiot missteps out the gate… I’m all ears.

Last edited:
On re-reading this I see I omitted the main construction detail y’all might critique.

For fencing, the plan is 8ft 2x2’s sharpened at one end and driven about 18” in. 2 strips of 5’ chicken wire stapled to them; the excess used as skirting flared outward at the bottom, with creek rock laid over. That’s my “fortification against diggers” plan.

What I’m trying to avoid mainly is mucky ground where they end up walking on mud balls as feet. I’m thinking moving them into one “pasture” for a couple weeks while the grass comes back in the other.

That’s about as far as my thinking has progressed. I’d like feedback as to how large the areas need to be for those numbers of birds? How quickly will they trample paths into mud?
What about bedding inside the coops- straw?
What types of bedding/litter (if any) are available to you for cheap or free? Depending on the number of birds to the size of the pasture they'll denude it at different speeds, and I'm not sure if a few weeks is enough to allow grass to recover if that does start to happen. You mentioned a quarter acre (for both pens, or one?) and around 18-24 birds (total?), which would give you a decent amount of space and slow down destruction of grass for sure.

Have I overrated chicken wire vs raccoons?
Raccoons can tear open typical chicken wire, or simply reach through, grab a bird, and tear it out in pieces.

What types of bedding/litter (if any) are available to you for cheap or free? Depending on the number of birds to the size of the pasture they'll denude it at different speeds, and I'm not sure if a few weeks is enough to allow grass to recover if that does start to happen. You mentioned a quarter acre (for both pens, or one?) and around 18-24 birds (total?), which would give you a decent amount of space and slow down destruction of grass for sure.

Raccoons can tear open typical chicken wire, or simply reach through, grab a bird, and tear it out in pieces.
I can get straw or hay super cheap if not free. Poplar shavings would cost about $8/wk at current prices and I don’t wanna spend that.
I worry about what a raccoon could do to chicken wire, knowing raccoons, but the stuff seems popular enough I hoped it would work. At least not give way in a few hours' effort, so I could mend it?

I can get straw or hay super cheap if not free. Poplar shavings would cost about $8/wk at current prices and I don’t wanna spend that.
I worry about what a raccoon could do to chicken wire, knowing raccoons, but the stuff seems popular enough I hoped it would work. At least not give way in a few hours' effort, so I could mend it?
We have several acres of hay cut twice a year. I just don’t like having to compost it for a year so it won’t wind in the the tiller tines. So ideas for chopping it before using or for cheap options are kinda on my radar. We have over 40 acres cut for hay, but I intend to use what is collected from the coop for compost. If you’ve ever cleaned long grass out of tiller tines, you’ll understand why I want options.

Last edited:
Might as well try the straw or hay and see how you like it then. Some folks have issues with mold so that's something you'll want to keep an eye on.

Hopefully someone with more experience with raccoons can give feedback on how well/poorly they manage with chicken wire. My run is chain link with hardware cloth on the bottom few feet just to prevent reach throughs, so it's not a predator proof run but I rely on the fact that the set up is very close to the house (so I can hear a commotion) and that I'm usually home.

Might as well try the straw or hay and see how you like it then. Some folks have issues with mold so that's something you'll want to keep an eye on.

Hopefully someone with more experience with raccoons can give feedback on how well/poorly they manage with chicken wire. My run is chain link with hardware cloth on the bottom few feet just to prevent reach throughs, so it's not a predator proof run but I rely on the fact that the set up is very close to the house (so I can hear a commotion) and that I'm usually home.
Yeah, I’m almost never home. So I don’t wanna do this with 2 strands of chicken wire then find out the hard way that I should have used something stouter. I also don’t wanna spend twice as much as I need to up front. Hoping for more experienced insight re: chicken wire vs coons.

Back
Top Bottom