New turkey owner problems...PLEASE HELP

moodlymoo

Songster
8 Years
Aug 23, 2011
Portland OR
I was told by DH I could get 4 turkeys this season. Keep in mind they are for meat purposes. I have raised chickens for many years and figured turkeys couldnt be much different other then feed. I had to have done something wrong.

We fed game bird starter 22%
Kept them about 90 degrees
Lots of fresh water with vitamins and electrolytes (told to do so by feed store)
Didnt handle much at all

They all died by day 4. They had just arrived to feed store the day we got them so at most 3 days old meaning nobody made it past a week of age. This was a sad thing for me to deal with. I want to try again but need to know if I did something wrong. They were BBB turkeys.

Thank you very much

First the temp needs to be 98 degrees. Next did you put their beak in the food and water several times that day, that way they would know where their food supply was? This is all I know that could have gone wrong.

They did well at finding food and water on their own and my temps were not that high. I will give this a go again and see what happens

That's terrible! I'm getting my first turkeys (blue slates) in 2 days, and I am terrified of something like this. I'll be watching this thread to see if anyone knows what might have happened...

Poults need to be kept warm. Temps are very important first couple weeks. Also make sure that they eat and drink. Keep showing them their food and water until you see them find it on their own. Good luck.

Just a little tip I picked up around here... If at all possible throw a chick or two in with the new poults to help get them started. The chicks are little faster on the uptake than the poults.

I hatched a few chicks to match the hatch/delivery date of my poults and I am pleased with the results. The chicks were up and bopping around when the turkeys got here and they sort of fallowed the chicks to and from the water and food. I kept the brooder a bit warmer for them and provided vit/electrolytes in their water.

I lost 2 from shipping stress which I expected, but I did lose another from failure to thrive (after 4 days and not growing at all I assume it was that). I now have 12 turkeys jumping and running around their box in the laundry room.

Back
Top Bottom