Newbie here! Denver native, beekeeper, and *almost* chicken keeper!

Butterprint

Chirping
6 Years
Oct 10, 2013
Denver, CO
Hi there, just popping in to introduce myself. I'm a stay-at-home mother of three, married to my high school sweetheart. We don't own chickens quite yet, but it's been a lifelong dream! We currently rent, which is why we don't have chickens yet. We do keep bees, however, and I'd be interested in knowing if there are any other beekeepers around here? But we are getting ready to buy our first home in the next few months here! We are looking to buy in Littleton OR Englewood, Colorado.

First thing we do after signing our closing papers is to get a chicken coop! I can't wait. So I'm here to learn from all of you before we actually take on chicken raising. We plan to just keep maybe 6-8 hens (depends on where we buy) for egg laying. My husband was raised with chickens and his parents have them on their farm. But I'm new to chicken keeping and so I'm loving this website and the plethora of information I've found so far!

Excited to be here :) Thanks!

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
We have a thread on beekeeping here that you are welcome to join:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/310974/a-bee-thread-for-those-interested-in-beekeeping

I'll bet you can't wait to have your own house. So much better than renting. The Learning Center will be a good place for you to start. There are articles on things like incubating eggs, raising chicks, choosing breeds, keeping the flock healthy and much more. Are you thinking of building or buying a coop? If you're building there are some lovely designs in the Coops section. And the fun part, choosing a breed. There are info on all the more common and some not-so-common breeds in the Breeds section. Have fun!

HI, there! I am also in Denver..(well, Centennial) and am also a beekeeper. Started with bees because we couldn't have chickens yet. :) We're getting finally chickens in the spring. So excited I could pee my pants. Good luck with everything!

Thank you so much for all the great info! The thread on beekeeping is awesome, I appreciate the help in finding it :)

My husband and I have been debating/arguing whether or not to buy a pre-made coop or to build one ourselves. At this point, I suspect he might win! Building a coop is a daunting task, but he has me convinced. Either way, I'm excited and this will be fun!

What a wonderful community for chicken keepers. Thanks for the warm welcome ;-)

Back
Top Bottom