Newbie Introduction

Apopka Cluckers

In the Brooder
11 Years
Dec 29, 2008
Hello,

I have been reading these forums for answers to various questions for a few months now. I just decided to finally make an account and try to contribute where ever I can.

My wife and I have three children. Two daugthers aged 9 and 10 and an autistic son age 8 who keeps us young:) We have three dogs living on the property with us. They are all great pyrenees which include an 11 year old female that I rescued and two 12 week old puppies that we just got for the girls. We live in central Florida.

A friend and I just finished my first coop. It is 10X10 but I still need to make a run for them and install a roost and laying boxes. My girls and boys are still young so the laying boxes are still a couple of months out so the next step is going to be the roost. I can't wait to start reading up on that part in these forums. I have 5 hens and 3 roosters in that coop and I am getting all kinds of different advice from people around about those roos. Hopefully, I can get some good information to decide how best to care for my little group of birds.

Everyone here is so knowledgeable and you all have really great ideas.

I will try to post some pictures of the group and of the coop a little later on.

Patrick

welcome-byc.gif
You will find everyone very helpful on here!
thumbsup.gif

Welcome,

Sounds like you know where you are going already,

You will really enjoy everything you learn here,

Jena.

welcome-byc.gif

And just something to think about...I also built my nest boxes later on thinking I had plenty of time. I took my girls almost a week to realize those big huge scary nest boxes were not out to get them!

Jena,

Sounds like I know what I'm doing? Woooo, I'm a good actor. My wife laughed so hard when I looked at one of my hens and asked what that red thing was growing on her head lol. I quickly checked here and found out what a comb was and that she was not a she
smile.png

This forum has been such a great help. I knew nothing about chickens and I must admit that I still don't know anything more than the very very basics.

Sunnydee,

Thanks for that suggestion. I'll get to work on it soon. I have a couple days off this week and that should be good enough to build something for the girls.

Your very welcome! I learned from experience that any change in their coop will freak them out for days!

When mine got a little bigger, I changed from a floor feeder to a much bigger hanging kind. They didn't eat their feed for over a week!

So just to for warn you...when you make changes..they WILL notice and WILL protest!

Good luck with your chickens! They are a great addition to any backyard!

Hi I'm also brand new to BYC but have had assorted animals most of my life. I started reading a few days ago and I'm also amazed at the number of people who are as kooky as I am about my birds!
big_smile.png
This is fun

Back
Top Bottom