Newbie with question: Japanese Bantaams and Orpintons

Fletcher

In the Brooder
12 Years
Jun 8, 2007
central OH
Hello chicken lovers. We are in the planning stages for next year. We do not currently have chickens.
I have really fallen for Japanese Bantams and I like the "fluffy" look of Orpingtons. Can they be mixed in the same flock? I know that Orpingtons can handle cold weather, but what would I have to do to preserve my J.B. hens over an Ohio winter? Thanks for your input!

If you really like the Jap bantams, I would consider bantam orpingtons as well. The standard orpington (from a breeder) can be pretty large and may hurt the bantams unintentionally. The orps are really gentle, but they can't help their massive size. That would be my primary concern.

I don't know enough about Japs to know how they fair over winter, but orps do really well. The only issues we have experienced with orps is frostbite, so preventative measures are a must to protect the combs on roosters.

Jody

Japanese bantams are very cold hardy in my experience. You will have to watch the roosters though because they have huge wattles and combs that would get frost bite. You can mix bantams and standards and have few problems if they have a lot of space to avoid eachother if needed. You shouldn't keep a standard roo with bantam hens though because the hens will get abused.

I have Japanese bantams and standard size chickens together. I've never had a problem. The bantams are tough and they put the standards in their place. Jap bantams can fly like crazy, too and are much more spry then the bigger guys. As far as a standard roo and bantam hen, well, I guess I have enough standard hens to keep my Phoenix happy, because my Jap girls are in better condition then some of the standards...as far as feather loss due to treading. It's funny when my jap roo tries to mount one of the bigger girls, though, poor boy...
hmm.png

I live in Maine and the only problem I have had is with my Jap roos loosing their combs to frostbite. Of course if they would actually go in the coop and not roost 20+ feet up in a tree in the dead of winter that wouldn't be a problem. The japs are actually very good layers. IMO I don't see a problem with keeping Japs and standards together.

I've always had Japs and I've always had standards together. My bossiest hen is actually a Jap and she tells everyone else what to do, even my Australorp who's 4 times bigger then her.
smile.png

Quote:
How much room should I give them in the coop? I'm planning a very small flock, maybe 2 or 3 of each type of hen. How small are the bantam eggs?

I have silkie bantams growing out in a pen with very large Orps and they have done fine. My Orp Roo is very protective of the younger ones. Of course the silkies Roost on the floor and the big birds on the poles. I even had a Buff silkie Roo breed a buff Orp hen last year and two eggs hatched out the cross. They were kind of cute but I sold them since I am not doing mutts at this time. I have a large coop inside and out that can handle 25 at a time but I don't have that many in there

Quote:
How much room should I give them in the coop? I'm planning a very small flock, maybe 2 or 3 of each type of hen. How small are the bantam eggs?

About 3-4 sq foot per bird is good, especially if half of them are banties. If you don't plan on free-ranging, more room would be better.
Here's a picture of a Japanese bantam egg and Black sex-link egg, the black sex-links egg would be labeled "large" at the grocery store.
100_1985.jpg

Back
Top Bottom