NEWBIES with Hatchery orders!

I've always ordered from Ideal. Hatched Wednesdays and I have them in hand by 8am Thursday morning. I had 50 in last weeks batch and just one little doa duck. Which was refunded by the next morning

Aww...sorry to hear about your last little chick. Very glad Meyer is fixing this for you, though. I'm hoping you don't have to pay for shipping all over again??? Also, I wonder if there is a way you can contact someone in the postal service and alert them to what happened? Maybe suggest they just keep your package in the back away from the AC or something? I don't know if it's possible (who knows how many pit stops our chicks make), but, we're all cheering for the arrival of alive and healthy chicks for you this time around!!

Aww...sorry to hear about your last little chick. Very glad Meyer is fixing this for you, though. I'm hoping you don't have to pay for shipping all over again??? Also, I wonder if there is a way you can contact someone in the postal service and alert them to what happened? Maybe suggest they just keep your package in the back away from the AC or something? I don't know if it's possible (who knows how many pit stops our chicks make), but, we're all cheering for the arrival of alive and healthy chicks for you this time around!!
I did call our local post office and they were great. The chicks arrived at 11:45 am and they called me at 11:50 am.. and we rushed right down. I do wonder about the post office in Ohio and then in Buffalo - the chicks have to go through Buffalo to get sorted and I have no idea which office they go through. :( I had package tracking and watched it like a hawk. I was seriously up in the middle of the night to check! Crazy chicken mama. We are getting five this time (added in the meal maker) and I will call the post office again to notify them we have live chicks coming. I have every finger and toe crossed for healthy babies this time.

I am so sorry! This is why I go pick mine up I can't and don't want to imagine what it would be like to wait and then open the box to find what you did. People can be so cruel and I know the postal workers aren't going to be careful with this precious cargo!
I might do that next time, or try to source locally. I had heard such good reviews about Meyer that I thought it would be OK. We are about 6 hours away from Meyer.. next time we might go down on the weekend and stay over until Monday, then drive home with the chicks. 6 hours in the car is a while, but not as bad as 18+ hours in various mail trucks.

It's heartbreaking to receive chicks that are dead or close to it. I have been reasonably fortunate, but then I always get 25 or more, and they do travel better that way. I would suggest that anyone with reasonable experience and facilities buy 25 chicks next time they order. If you make up the difference with pullets of popular breeds and get them all going for a week, you should be able to sell the locally. You will be doing your neighbors a great service and might even get your chicks at a reduced price, or at least pay the shipping.

For my part, I am concentrating my laying flock on breeds that are sexable at hatch, so that I can sell pullet chicks locally. I believe they are healthier for not having been shipped. I'm filling a need and satisfying my addiction to hatching chicks (I hatched over 500 this year !).

Mannnn...too bad you're over 4 hours away from me (In PA, also) I'd have to consider adding to future flocks with chicks from you!

Mannnn...too bad you're over 4 hours away from me (In PA, also) I'd have to consider adding to future flocks with chicks from you!

Come join the PA thread (https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/248345/pennsylvania-unite), you'll find people all over the state, some close to you for sure. We even sometimes arrange to get eggs or birds moved around the state by members who travel a lot. Like a sort of "chicken express"
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom