Newer Chicken Tender

iLuv2sk8

In the Brooder
Mar 25, 2024
Southern Oregon
Hello!
Growing up we had chickens, but other than collecting eggs and cleaning the coop, I didn't have much involvement/interest. I got my first flock in 2020 and have thoroughly enjoyed them. I got 6 Golden Comets from the local Grange and they have been the best first chickens. They are so curious and have such a great demeanor. I love spending time just sitting with them and watching them. I had one who would jump on my lap and sit for a minute. All but one stopped laying at about 3 years old, and we have been happy to be a senior living facility for them to happily live out the rest of their lives. They have been self-sufficient and largely problem free up until the last year. All but 1 of them has developed water belly due to heart failure from their rapid growth. Sadly, we are down to the last 2 of my sweet girls.

I was given some "oopsie" silkies that have been slowly introduced to my last two golden girls. They are getting along quite well and seem to be super happy.

February 29th I got 4 more chicks from the Grange - 2 Easter Eggers and 2 lavender Orpingtons. This brings our total to 8. The attached pictures are from March 13th (2 weeks) of the newest members.

My favorite aspects of raising chickens is spending time watching them and their quirky behaviors and the different personalities of the different breeds. It is just my husband and I, our two labs, and our 8 chickens. We enjoy their eggs and sharing them with our friends and family. I'm excited to see some new colors from the usual brown. I think we got our first silkie egg the other day and it was so cute, speckled, and dinky!

We live on an acre, so not a ton of work, but it gets super busy when spring comes and we have to catch up on all the things we couldn't do during winter. We also have a garden in the summer that is labor intensive to get up and running, but then we get to enjoy the fruits of our labor.

My husband does inspections for a property management company and I manage a cardiovascular intensive care unit. When I'm not working, I like to make things for friends and family - tee shirts (either heat transfer vinyl or sublimation), mugs (sublimation), and epoxy tumblers. I also do some paper crafting, mainly cards. I also have one of the best friends a girl could ask for, and we spend as much time together as we can get away with!

I was watching a YouTube video on raising fall chicks and the gal recommended BYC as one of her go-to sites, so here I am. I am hoping to learn all the things about raising and caring for my girls (and boys if I ever get one - I have a suspicion one of my newcomers may be a rooster, but it is still rather early).

Thanks for having me and sharing all your knowledge <3

Attachments

• 20240313_152645.jpg
    20240313_152645.jpg
    367.6 KB · Views: 30
  • 20240313_150207.jpg
    20240313_150207.jpg
    292.3 KB · Views: 7
  • 20240313_145533.jpg
    20240313_145533.jpg
    287.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 20240313_145450.jpg
    20240313_145450.jpg
    290.7 KB · Views: 7
First off, I appreciate that your girls get to happily live out their lives with you. I feel like giving them that opportunity is the least I can do in return for all the eggs and entertainment they provide for me.

I enjoyed reading your introduction. Birds, gardening, crafting -- sounds like you've carved out a good life for yourself as well as for your critters.

Welcome to BYC; I hope we hear more from you and that we can help you with any challenges and cheer your successes!

Back
Top Bottom