Newly hatch chick with umbilical hernia

verthandi

Songster
12 Years
May 18, 2007
Maine
I know I have read how to deal with this on this site, but I have not been able to find the information. Would someone direct me please?

Slow hatching chick presented with small umbilical hernia. Treatment plan?

I don't know if this is the thread you were talking about or not but it sounded somewhat like it. I'll keep looking for ya. It's on page 6 in the Emergiencies section by KristenH and posted on 4/17/07. It's called "Help!! New chicks hatching with rough navels!!!"

If a lot is hanging out, I would recommend putting it down. If you leave those in with the others, they may pull it out further or step on it and cause more to come out. If any are just not closed right and sore, I would separate them and try a small bandaid over it to see if it goes back in on its own. That will also keep it moist and clean. I have not tried that, but other members have with some success. I'm afraid the rough and open navals usually don't end up well in the end. The ones who look perky and healthy otherwise, I would try to work with. Any weak ones or ones with excessive stuff hanging out will likely die (whether you help them to or not).

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom