newly hatched chick staying on its back

Are they out of the incubator? Are you flipping them back over the right way? If they are out, I'd keep rolling them over the right way. I had one new one flip last night in the brooder and I ran in to see what the rukus was about and rolled him back over. I told my DH "that sound is always BAD, so you need to check what's wrong if you hear it!"

if you leave them on their backs like that they will die

something is wrong they cant support themselves

here is my two cents

wrap them so they stay up right and hand feed and water them, also work there legs in a peddling or walking motion ( to build muscle or to maintain what they have). watch them cause one of two thing will happen they will get better or they ( I am sorry to say this but they will die)

They are still in the incubator because I have others that are pipped. I've flipped him over a couple times but its as if his body can't support him upright. He tries to hold his body as if he is still in the egg. His tummy feels swollen and his neck stays turned.

Quote:
Is it dried off? I think you may need to get it out of there. I know, I know you can't open the bator.
barnie.gif
The tummy thing I think is normal - they still have that yolk sac they are feeding off of. The neck staying turned could be a problem. Search for wry neck and see what it has to say.

I tried putting the chick in a container where it could only stand or sit, but in the correct position. I left it overnight, and now this morning it is wobbly but doing a fine job of not flipping on its back. In human terms it's almost like it has vertigo. I am going to treat with vitamins in the water just in case it's a vitamin or mineral deficiency.

~K

Hi,

You can use a narrow storage container with paper towels on the sides to make a "well" in the middle for the chick. The idea is to keep the chick in an upright position and not be able to fall over on it's side. It's fine for them to be laying down too, so long as it is in an upright position.

HTH

Back
Top Bottom