Niacin Deficiency in Waterfowl

Pics
What’s the difference between brewers yeast and nutritional yeast? And is one better than the other for Pekin ducks? I feed my ducks twice a day, morning and evening, and they forage in between. Should I give whichever yeast twice a day or just once? And from all that I just read, am I correct in the thought that putting any vitamin supplements in their drinking water is pointless?

Have you read this?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/nutritional-yeast-vs-brewers-yeast.1393856/

I wanted to thank you all for creating this thread of fantastic info! It's been helping me a ton both in what to do and not panicking. <3

My girls are 3 weeks old tomorrow. A few days ago I noticed they were lying down more often, but thought it was because we've been giving them a lot more outside & swim play time and they've been wearing themselves out, plus there's not as much room in the brooder now for "indoor zoomies". I didn't think niacin would be a concern since I have them on Mannapro Duck Starter and lots of peas for treats (and they're Indian Runners, who aren't prone to it). But last night I noticed two of the girls starting to go a bit pigeon-toed and wobbly as well... supplements time!

My local feed store was out of Durvet Maxi-B but they have it on order for me and should come in Tuesday. In the meantime I'm currently feeding them "Herb Science Liquid Niacin"mixed into mushed peas once a day (1ml each, as much as I can keep them separated), and adding 1Tb of nutritional yeast per cup of crumbles.

One question I have...I can't tell if the girls' hocks are looking abnormal or not. They're not hugely distended or abnormally hot, but they're looking weirdly... pointy? Like the bones are suddenly more defined through the skin? Not sure if that's a symptom or normal duck puberty weirdness. </noob> Thank you again!

@Isaac 0
35937012-0035-419A-81C1-9C7FC488A6ED.jpeg

I have seen that in a few Runners of mine, and a few of other members on here. If she appears to be walking fine, I wouldn't worry.

A 4 week old muscovy of mine ends up having Niacin deficiency. It doesn't want to eat and drink. It can stand and walk but it prefers to sleep. due to lockdown I can by poultry supplies. I use Polyvisol to give it source of niacin and vitamins. I see improvements but it is still weak. It currently have wet feathers. So I am planning to give it bath once it can walk and eat again.

Back
Top Bottom