Nice but a little embarrassing surprise.

Texag87

Free Ranging
5 Years
Sep 22, 2018
Aggieland
Our hatchlings are 9 weeks old. We knew for sure 3 were ducks and two were drakes and found someone local who had lost their drake. Last night I picked up one for sure drake for five minutes and got nothing but a peeps. The lady came to get “him” tonight. I picked “him” up to put in a box and the quacking started. We talked it over and are going to hatch some more ducklings for her. We could not give the other ”drake” away because he looks like his deceased mom. Just when you start to think you know something, it’s probably wrong.:bow

I had picked this duck up several times in the last couple weeks without a single quack. Many times we have been out in the pen with them watching and listening but never thought any quacks came from her. Her full sister , on the other hand, is going to be louder than any of our ducks. Her half sisters can be pretty loud too.

4 out of 5 is not a bad hatch rate of ducks to drakes. Problem is I told my wife when she picked out the eggs that I would give her 20 dollars for each hen ..........to use if we get to go on vacation. I lost bigtime on that.

I do like the results. Watch then next hatch be all drakes. I picked out the eggs for the ones that are going to that lady who was going to pick up the "drake" last night. I tried to get her to take our eggs and the incubator and do it herself but she was afraid.

Back
Top Bottom