Nice Rooster?

DotToDot

Crowing
Apr 11, 2023
So, when I got chickens in the pandemic, I ordered six female chicks. Two barred rocks, two black Australorps, one speckled sussex, and one golden laced Wyandotte. They were all very sweet, and nothing seemed abnormal.
A month in, I noticed one of my barred rocks, Cherry, was dancing around and growing huge wattles and spurs. A little research later, I thought she was a rooster. Once it was confirmed, I changed his name to Charlie.
I was a bit concerned, because I had heard many horror stories of mean roosters, and seen it at the farm I work at. I’d never had a rooster, and I was considering giving him away.
I’m glad I waited, though, because Charlie grew into the sweetest and most doting rooster I’ve ever seen. He takes care of the ladies, and has never hurt them or me.
Does anybody else have gentlemen roosters like this?

I had a a good Barred Rock rooster sone years back. He never showed me any aggressive behavior at all.
Currently have a good Black Australorp rooster.
2 out 3 Lavender Orpington roosters were good. One was a mess.
Had a Lavender Orpington/New Hampshire cross rooster that was really good and a Lavender Orpington/Easter egger rooster that was not nice.
The worst roosters I’ve had was a White Leghorn and a Silver Spangled Hamburg both of those were vile little creatures.
I have some Buff Orpington males ordered for this year hoping they will be good.

I have 3 rooster that are very nice and polite. The only time the one pecked me is when I came up behind him and he didn't know it was me. He's a Silkie so he can't see very well.

I had a a good Barred Rock rooster sone years back. He never showed me any aggressive behavior at all.
Currently have a good Black Australorp rooster.
2 out 3 Lavender Orpington roosters were good. One was a mess.
Had a Lavender Orpington/New Hampshire cross rooster that was really good and a Lavender Orpington/Easter egger rooster that was not nice.
The worst roosters I’ve had was a White Leghorn and a Silver Spangled Hamburg both of those were vile little creatures.
I have some Buff Orpington males ordered for this year hoping they will be good.
I've owned about 10 Buff/Lavender Orpington roosters and only 1 of those were mean. And the one that was mean was one I'd gotten from somebody full grown.

Come to think of it, everytime I go outside and my rooster walks straight towards me, he'll stop a few feet in front of me and scratch and peck at the ground a couple of times without looking at me, then he'll come right up to me. Could that be some sort of a sign from him showing me respect or that he doesn't want to fight or something?

Hey again, @DotToDot!

All the roosters I’ve ever had from chicks have been very nice for the most part (one of them liked to peck things out of curiosity, including people’s toes, legs, and fingers). Right now the only “rooster” I have is a silkie, and he’s a super sweet little guy, although being held isn’t his favorite thing LOL. I do have eight or nine cockerels as well, most of which love attention, and some even like to be held, pet, and perch on my arms or shoulders. :)

Back
Top Bottom