NJ Towns that allow chickens

I currently live in Pemberton and there seems to be a lot of conflicting information. What I verified with the township so far is you can have chickens if you live in R1 zoning and have more than an acre but I can’t find any of the ordinances or regulations otherwise. I was under the impression that as long as you have an acre you can have them. We live in a residential property that is zoned light industrial so I’m waiting on the township now to give me a straight answer and to see the actual ordinances.

I'm in Emerson, in Bergen county, and I'm actively looking into getting backyard chickens. I posed the question last June, and the town health official told me today over the phone that only one person has asked about it (me apparently) and they've been discussing at mayor and council meetings every month in order to update the town codes. As of now I meet all requirements, except for setback requirements: 50 feet from dwellings, 100 ft from property lines. The problem is most properties in town are under 1 acre, effectively limiting everyone from owning poultry. So can anyone direct me to space or setback requirements, and the logical reasoning for them? Thank you.

You would have to ask you township zoning board the reasoning. Generally most of these places just make stuff up or adopt it from elsewhere because it looks good. I’m in Pemberton NJ and had to do significant research to find that here, your home needs to be zoned R 01 and be over an acre. When I went to the township building and asked I was specifically told no one in the township can have chickens. When I mentioned the ordinance they did a 180 on that. You can also ask for an exception if you are disabled like I am or you can ask because your yard is shaped in such a way that you can’t have it situated that way. Generally it’s not a problem unless someone reports you. ‘

WELLLLLL, not trying to be a wise guy, but when ya' live in a crappy place like Jersey, what'd ya' expect. Here people are nicer. Go to town hall and ask a question, right there they'd look up the answer. They'd even make a copy of the code and give it to ya'. No attitude, no issue's on problems.

Hey buddy, I invite you to spend some time in NJ. especially in the northwest area. It’s beautiful and I’m not from there. Been living in NJ since 2016, and just like every state there are blemishes and there are beauty marks. I loved on 24 acres and had gun range in Hunterdon County. Don’t be that over confident guy on a chicken forum calling someone’s home state crappy.

Back
Top Bottom